Love language: the power of cuisine

Acclaimed French chef Kevin d’Andrea, owner of FoliePops and Top Chef contestant, pays visit to Madame Favrin’s AP French class
French teacher Charlotte Favrin and guest chef Kevin d’Andrea pose with the dessert delicacies he brought for the class to sample. The class communicated with him mostly in French.
Beatrix Lozach

Today in fifth period, 2015 Top Chef France finalist and owner of the company FoliePops, Kevin d’Andrea, visited Madame Favrin’s AP French 4 and French 5 class. Madame Favrin contacted him after a representative of the French embassy told Favrin that d’Andrea was working in Austin.

“Chef d’Andrea is an incredibly talented and busy chef but he accepted my invitation and made time to visit us,” she said. “I appreciate his passion for cooking and sharing it with the students.”

The class communicated with d’Andrea primarily in French with occasional English queries, asking him about his profession (he’s worked in two three-star Michelin restaurants, Hôtel Le Meurice and Hôtel Plaza Athénée Paris), his alimentary hero (his culinary school teacher), his perspectives on French vs. American cuisine, and his transition to life in Austin. 

According to d’Andrea, “Austin is very nice, very welcoming. The hospitality is great!” 

He’s adjusted well to life here, having acquired English from a Barbadian friend and a year of working in London, while remaining just as enamored of his native cuisine. 

Chef d’Andrea is an incredibly talented and busy chef but he accepted my invitation and made time to visit us. I appreciate his passion for cooking and sharing it with the students.

— French teacher Charlotte Favrin

Handing out tartelettes in flavors as diverse as hazelnut, lemon, peanut and raspberry, d’Andrea hopes to inspire students to take accountability for their health and to enjoy the sacred ritual of preparing food. He believes that fast food is “the worst thing for your body” and shared that “Cool Whip has the same stabilizer as a car engine.” 

He’s passionate about making change and holding school districts to a higher standard. “We need to be more mindful of what we’re feeding our children,” d’Andrea said. Nevertheless, he’s optimistic about a brighter future for cafeteria food: “together, we can make change.”

Sophomore Lino Cohen took the opportunity to take a selfie with visiting chef Kevin d’Andrea because he was a finalist in the French version of Top Chef and because he’s a contestant on the newest American edition—Top Chef Wisconsin—set to air on Bravo starting on March 20. “My grandma’s watched every season of Top Chef,” Cohen said. “She probably loves this guy!” Of his selfie with d’Andrea, Cohen said, “Yeah, I’m sending this to my grandma.”

For the students, the encounter was quite positive, especially for one student in particular: sophomore Lino Cohen.

“My grandma’s watched every season of Top Chef,” Cohen said. “She probably loves this guy!” 

We need to be more mindful of what we’re feeding our children. [Fast food is] the worst thing for your body. Cool Whip has the same stabilizer as a car engine.

— chef Kevin d’Andrea

After taking a selfie with d’Andrea, Cohen, who is French, admitted with a grin, “Yeah, I’m sending this to my grandma.” 

D’Andrea will be featured in the next season of Top Chef (the American version). 

For junior Maya Starkloff, though, it was a chance to speak with an expert in her desired field. When d’Andrea asked the class their future professions (among them, an entomologist, immigration lawyer, and an archaeologist), Starkloff said, with her characteristic enthusiasm, “I want to be a chef.”

View Comments (1)