In second episode of ‘The S Word’ podcast, GAHSMTA nominees take us behind scenes of ’42nd Street’

image_pdfimage_print

In the second episode of The Spoken Word, host Alex Dowd and producer Stella Shenkman sit down and talk with GAHSMTA-nominated members of the cast and crew of 42nd Street. Lauded as Austin’s version of the Tony Awards, the Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards celebrates musical theatre in more than 30 Centex high schools with an awards ceremony in the Long Center featuring more than 500 high school performers who will receive a total of $35,000 in awards, scholarships and grants.  

MacTheatre received nine nominations for its production of 42nd Street, which tied 2017’s Me and My Girl as the most nominated musical in MacTheatre history.

The nominations include best actor in a supporting role to junior Tosh Arora, best actress in a supporting role to junior Lilah Guaragna, best featured performer to junior Owen Scales, best technical execution, best musical direction, best production, best ensemble, best orchestra and best choreography.

Arora, Guaragna, Scales and Zoe Hocker, one of the scenic heads of the GAHSMTA-nominated technical crew, share their stories of what it took to bring 42nd Street to life and what they take from the experience and the broader experience of musical theatre at McCallum. We simply could not squeeze this amazing conversation within our usual time limit for a podcast. But give it a listen and we think you will agree we made the right decision to keep the recorder rolling until the conversation ran its full course.

Juniors Tosh Arora, Owen Scales and Lilah Guaragna and senior Zoe Hocker discuss the process that brought 42nd Street to life and the meaning of musical theatre in their lives in the latest podcast episode of The S Word on The Shield Online. Photo by Dave Winter.

Going out youngsters, coming back stars