VSA honors Mac junior

Jackson Sutton captures Director's Commendation in first-ever Texas Artist of the Year ceremony

As+he+received+his+award%2C+Jackson+Sutton+gave+a+speech+about+how+much+the+award+meant+to+him.+On+receiving+the+award%2C+Sutton+said+that+this+was+%22a+great+honor%22+for+him.+Photo+by+Anna+McClellan.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

VSA honors Mac junior

As he received his award, Jackson Sutton gave a speech about how much the award meant to him. On receiving the award, Sutton said that this was

As he received his award, Jackson Sutton gave a speech about how much the award meant to him. On receiving the award, Sutton said that this was "a great honor" for him. Photo by Anna McClellan.

Ellen Fox, staff reporter

image_pdfimage_print

Junior Jackson Sutton was awarded the Director’s Commendation at last Sunday’s inaugural Very Special Artists Texas Artist of the Year Awards ceremony at the Sterling Event Center.

The event featured food, live guitar and vocal performers. The guest of honor included Sutton and the other two honored artists, their families and friends, and supportive community stakeholders.

In addition to Sutton’s award, the VSA recognized Jordana Gerlach with the SPARK Award and Joan Fabian with the Haven Allen Artist of the Year Award.

Sutton has long been known for his artwork. His artwork was featured in a March 2017 cover story in the Shield.

Sutton said that in his art pieces, he likes to make the viewer feel a sense of nostalgia, and he combines other elements from older times and current times to convey this idea. Many of his works are also inspired by Jackson’s early fascination with other cultures and peoples, and he specifically draws a lot from Mayan and Latin American art.

In addition to being a visual artist he is also a poet, linguist, composer, writer and philosopher. You can check out his other works at https://jacksonseyetv.com/.

We are pleased to feature photos from Sunday’s event as this week’s #TuesdayTop10 photo essay. Photos by Ellen Fox, Edward Johnson and Anna McClellan.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “VSA honors Mac junior”

1. alba on October 5th, 2018 1:58 pm

This is such a well written, great story. Loved the photos and the actual writing. Captions were really good.

2. sarah on October 5th, 2018 4:13 pm

This is so heartwarming and touching and inspiring . he did good good work!

3. Harrison Wynn on October 10th, 2018 2:40 pm

This is so amazing. It really warms my heart to see somebody get some time in their well deserved spotlight.

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Renaissance woman Russo captures 11 ILPC individual achievement awards

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

It’s time for the Shield senior class survey

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Shield repeats as Online Pacemaker Award winner

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

MacJournalism captures three Star Awards, including online Gold, plus six Tops in Texas honors

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Teacher’s rally cry: ‘Fund Our Schools’

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Response to response training mixed

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Talking it out

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Just Fund It, Texas

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Reagan rename takes different direction

• VSA honors Mac junior

News

Garrison to retire after 16 years as principal

VSA honors Mac junior