Running into 2024

Track teams rely on passion, practice to prep for season
Juniors+Camilla+Vandegrift+and+Finley+Dixon+run+during+an+untimed+track+meet+at+McCallum%E2%80%99s+practice+field+against+runners+from+LASA+on+Feb.+17..+
Adele Seeboth
Juniors Camilla Vandegrift and Finley Dixon run during an untimed track meet at McCallum’s practice field against runners from LASA on Feb. 17..

Sprinting into the 2024 season, the girls and boys track teams have been at work, attending practice Monday through Thursday at 7 in the morning, preparing for their upcoming meets.

For head girls track coach Joshua Amy, coaching the track team is special because of his athletes’  passion for being a part of the team.

“I love being around the kids,” Amy said. “It really brings out the competitive nature in some kids.”

I love being around the kids, [Track and field] really brings out the competitive nature in some kids.

— Joshua Amy

Amy has coached track at McCallum for five years. He started as the boys coach and eventually transitioned to the role of girls head coach. Amy has previous experience coaching and learned from his time coaching with former girls head coach Susan Ashton.

“I worked with Coach Ashton for my first couple of years and really enjoyed how much she cared and the knowledge she shared,” Amy said.

Amy is excited to work with new track coach Victor Ike on devising new activities and exercises to help the athletes improve.

“With the addition of Coach Ike, who I actually coached with back in 2012 and 2013, we will be able to maximize our athletes’ abilities,” Amy said.

Amy right now is working with girls and boys shorter sprints with the help of Ike and Coach Niki Muller. He has also spend time working specifically athletes who compete in the middle-distance events.

Amy’s favorite part about being the track coach was watching his 2023 varsity girls team win districts and be able to see all of their hard work pay off.

Senior Mika Hishida, junior Isley Cameron and sophomore Sara Hamlet pose together after placing at track prelims of the district meet on April 11 when they were all a grade younger. (Nate Williams)

“My favorite part was last year when the varsity girls won their district championship,” Amy said. “It was awesome to hear their name announced and see them hold the trophy up screaming in happiness.”

This season, Amy hopes the team can repeat as district champions and also take a relay team all the way to the regional track meet.

“We haven’t had a relay team qualify for the regional track meet since I have been here,” Amy said. “We were close last year with our 4×400 team, so we are aiming to finally get to the next level in that aspect.”

This year, Amy  hopes to encourage the girls team to go beyond its comfort zone since that was a big factor in its win last year. He hopes team members will embrace the challenge of competing in events that they aren’t as comfortable with.

“I think the major thing the girls figured out last year was that the success of the team meant they needed to be comfortable doing the uncomfortable,” Amy said.

I think the major thing the girls figured out last year was that the success of the team meant they needed to be comfortable doing the uncomfortable.

— Joshua Amy

Last year, Amy saw how dedicated these girls were because they stepped up at the last minute in order to help their team score the points they needed. To Amy, being able to face hard challenges for the good of the team is what makes a good teammate.

“A good teammate is someone who puts the team’s needs over their wants,” Amy said. “For someone to go through these grueling races for the team shows that they care about everyone’s success as a whole.”

One of these track members who competed at the last minute was sophomore Sara Hamlet. For Hamlet, track is a sport where people of all levels are able to come together as a team to represent McCallum as well as their own individual spirit.

“I love track because so many people with different talents can come together and compete,” Hamlet said, “not only for individual improvement but also for the team as a whole.”

This year there have already been many changes for Hamlet. Ike has helped Hamlet grow by incorporating new drills and activities to help her and her teammates grow.

“Overall there have been more activities to do in order to build speed, endurance and strength,” Hamlet said.

Hamlet is ready to travel to these meets and improve on her events: long jump, triple jump and the 300-meter hurdles. She also is looking forward to getting to know the rest of the team.

“This year I am really looking forward to the meets,” Hamlet said. “I also love the early mornings because it’s a time where the whole team gets to hang out.”

I also love the early mornings because it’s a time where the whole team gets to hang out.

— Sara Hamlet

Hamlet chooses these events because they are where she feels most confident. Throughout middle school Hamlet did long jump and triple jump and wanted to continue competing in the same events at the next level.

“I really enjoy long jump and triple jump and wanted to continue to do them,” Hamlet said.

Hamlet competed in the 300-meter hurdles last year at districts and placed third.

Like the girls, the boys team hopes to continue the program bulding that occurred a year ago.

Sophomore Cooper Hensley, a member of the boys team, also wanted to do track in order to enhance his speed for the upcoming football season. Football takes strength, speed and motivation, qualities which Hensley is working to improve during track season.

“I wanted to get faster for football and compete for my school,” Hensley said. “There were drills that the coach has helped with, and having a coach who guides me to improve my speed has helped with my game.”

For Hensley, track has become a place where he can get better while also making new friendships that push him to be better in both sports.

“My favorite part of track has been being able to compete and practice with my teammates,” Hensley said.

With this new season on the horizon, Hensley is excited to increase his speed and represent McCallum at all of the meets. Competing means a lot more than just a medal, Hensley said.

“I am looking forward to getting faster and competing for McCallum,” Hensley said. “I want to make sure McCallum is known for not just our fine arts program but also our athletics.”

I want to make sure McCallum is known for not just our fine arts program but also our athletics.

— Cooper Hensley