The best local stores to find creative Halloween costumes in a crunch

Five shops worth a visit during spooky season
The Spirit Halloween located at 1231 Austin Highway has costumes varying from witches to pirates to movie characters, containing just about anything one could want.
Dylan Bryl

Halloween in Austin is a big deal. Many kids all around town dress up to go door to door scavenging for candy and dressing up in costumes. Children can even receive extra candy for an especially good costume. Here are some of the best costume stores around Central Texas to visit in order to make Halloween dreams come true.

Spirit Halloween is my favorite because of its wide variety and easy access in all parts of town.

— customer Mimi Bryl

The Bazaar
The Bazaar was an alterations shop that was located close to the University of Texas campus in 1966. With a few achievements to its name, like having a teenage Farrah Fawcett as a customer and presenting Tim Curry with a corset for a Rocky Horror Picture Show celebration at the Paramount Theater in 1978, it has now shifted to a different location in Wimberley and has extended its products. The Bazaar is a family-run business that makes it easy to piece together a costume from their selection of wigs, theatrical makeup and more.

“I went in for some professional quality theatrical makeup and everyone was so helpful,” customer Jessica Johnston said. “I ended up spending an hour in the store just playing with the makeup they had and chatting with the woman who was helping me.”

Spirit Halloween
Spirit Halloween is the biggest and most popular Halloween costume store in Austin. Spirit Halloween has costumes varying from witches to pirates to movie characters, containing just about anything one could want.

“Spirit Halloween is my favorite because of its wide variety and easy access in all parts of town,” customer Mimi Bryl said.

Spirit Halloween has over 1,500 locations and holds not only costumes but decorations, candy and movies to enjoy throughout the spooky season.

[A Cut Above Costume] has amazing service, imagination and price. It’s our go-to shop every Halloween.

— cutomer Karen Wegner

A Cut Above Costume
A Cut Above Costume is a fantastic store for all your Halloween needs. From creative costumes to eerie decorations, they offer a wide variety of high-quality products. The store ambiance creates a spooky spirit, making shopping there a fun experience. The staff is helpful, and they often have unique items you won’t find elsewhere.

“It has the best selection with masterfully organized theme outfits available,” customer Karen Wagner said. “It has amazing service, imagination and price. It’s our go-to shop every Halloween.”

Whether searching for a scary costume or haunting home decor, A Cut Above Costume is a go-to destination for Halloween enthusiasts.

Blue Velvet
Blue Velvet is located right next to Epoch Coffee on North Loop, and it’s a star in the vintage clothing game, providing funky finds to the Austin community for over 20 years. When you visit, you’ll come across a wide selection of clothing, mostly from the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s.

“I’ve been going to Blue Velvet for the last decade in Austin and have never had a poor experience,” customer Natalie Thompson said. “Their pieces are really one-of-a-kind and in great condition while also remaining very reasonably priced.”

Blue Velvet skews toward women’s attire, but there are clothes for men as well, plus plenty of accessories. Everything is organized by decade and by style, making it easy for costume shoppers who have a specific look in mind.

[Treasure City Thrift] is one of the last real thrift stores in Austin.

— Whitney Baker

Treasure City Thrift
If your budget is a little tighter this year you should check out Treasure City Thrift, the self-proclaimed cheapest thrift store in Austin. Not only do they work hard to be affordable for everyone, but they also aim to be a zero-waste operation and they’re completely supported by donations. To top it all off, Treasure City Thrift pays it forward by providing financial and material support to local organizations.

“This is one of the last real thrift stores in Austin,” customer Whitney Baker said. “It has great prices and good finds in my experience. The only problem you’ll have is when the hours are limited, but when it’s open it’s great.”

View Comments (1)