Parrott answers call to become new fine arts director

New leadership role latest step in lifelong journey with the arts
Senior+Malena+Linse+describes+her+drawing+to+new+fine+arts+director+Dr.+Sam+Parrot+during+her+art+class.+According+to+Parrot%2C+his+experiences+with+McCallum+students+have+made+him+eager+to+begin+his+new+role.+The+students+were+so+passionate+about+their+programs+and+they+really+opened+up+about+their+experiences+at+McCallum%2C+and+they+made+me+feel+welcome+instantly%2C+Parrott+said.+
Lucas Walker
Senior Malena Linse describes her drawing to new fine arts director Dr. Sam Parrot during her art class. According to Parrot, his experiences with McCallum students have made him eager to begin his new role. “The students were so passionate about their programs and they really opened up about their experiences at McCallum, and they made me feel welcome instantly,” Parrott said.

When former Fine Arts Academy director Gabe Reyes left at the beginning of last year to accept a job in AISD’s Student Services department, it was unclear what would come of the empty position. After many months of searching, Dr. Sam Parrott was hired to fill the position. 

Parrott’s role as fine arts director comes after a lifetime of passion for the arts. In middle school, he played saxophone and clarinet. Parrott was also a drum major for the San Marcos High School marching band during his junior and senior years. He even joined the choir later in high school and “absolutely loved singing with others.” His interest in cooking led him to consider a career in culinary arts, but after some prodding from his mentors, Parrott chose the music education path. He hasn’t looked back since. 

He’s been in the field for so long, and knows what he’s doing. The student body should know he’s incredibly friendly and will be in your corner whenever possible.

— senior Adrian Recar

“I was planning on attending college in Rhode Island for pastry arts,” Parrott said. “But I wasn’t going to be able to afford school out of state, and my band and choir directors really pushed for me to pursue music education as a career path. I still cook often, but after 11 years in the classroom teaching music, I know I made the right choice.”

Parrott has lots of experience in education under his belt. He has worked as an educator with all three levels of public education and has taught a very wide range of classes from robotics to cheerleading. Parrott is also experienced in working in leadership positions. He directed the Austin Children’s Choir for nine years, the AJ Briesemeister Middle School choir for six years and the Seguin High School choir for two years. Senior and choir major Adrian Recar worked with Parrott during his time as director of the Austin Children’s Choir. Recar remembers his time working with Parrott fondly. 

“He is so funny, and was always there to lift everyone up,” Recar said. “He made everyone feel like they had a spot in the choir, no matter their level of experience.” 

Recar also noted that Dr. Parrott’s experience with choir will benefit him in his new position. 

“He’s been in the field for so long, and knows what he’s doing,” Recar said. “The student body should know he’s incredibly friendly and will be in your corner whenever possible. Having had a leadership role as the director of the choir gives [Parrott] a leg up when faced with handling potential problems with students, staff, parents or possibly his own peers because he’s done it before.”

The students were so passionate about their programs, and they really opened up about their experiences at McCallum, and they made me feel welcome instantly.

— new fine arts director Dr. Sam Parrott

Parrott may be well-equipped for his new role, but some aspects of the hiring process were new to him. Part of the interview process for the job involved meeting with student ambassadors from each fine arts major who then asked Dr. Parrott about how he would work directly with students. Class of 2023 graduate and former choir ambassador Caytie Brown was one of the students who interviewed him. Brown said that while she only met him in passing, it’s clear he’s a good fit for the job. 

“He seems like such a genuine person, and given who he picked for the new choir director, I have a lot of faith in him and the way that he will lead the program,” Brown said.

Parrott said that although having students be involved in the interview process was something new to him, he valued hearing the students’ perspectives.

“The students were so passionate about their programs and they really opened up about their experiences at McCallum, and they made me feel welcome instantly,” Parrott said.

Parrott initially heard about McCallum from two of his former choir directors when he was in high school. While looking for potential fine arts administrative positions at the end of 2021, Parrott stumbled across an open post at McCallum. He knew he needed to take a chance on it.

I knew the culture and climate at McCallum was something that was the best fit for me, and the appreciation for the arts here was what really stood out to me.

— Sam Parrott

“I knew the culture and climate at McCallum was something that was the best fit for me, and the appreciation for the arts here was what really stood out to me,” Parrott said.

According to Parrott, his experiences with McCallum students have made him eager to begin his new role. 

“I’m drawn to the inclusivity of the school, as well as the robust nature of each of the programs,” Parrott said. 

The unique culture of McCallum has provided Parrott with motivation to make its fine arts programs the best they can be, despite the difficulties that come with getting used to a new school.

“Learning all of the new systems and trying to memorize names, positions and the school map has been a challenge,” Parrott said. “But I’ve had the opportunity to work on some fun projects to help support the Fine Arts programs already and I look forward to more. I really hope that once I get the flow of the job under my belt, I’ll be able to get into more classes and spend time helping to reinforce and guide the culture of the Fine Arts Academy to help programs achieve at an even higher level.” 

Parrott appreciates the support given to him by McCallum students and hopes he can give the same to them.

“I’m here as a support mechanism for all students and staff, not only in the [Fine Arts] programs but across the entire campus,” Parrott said. “My door is always open to help.”

View Comments (2)