Fighting on two fronts

Social studies teacher and soldier, Sanabria accepts simultaneous missions

Photos courtesy of Sanabria and by Greg James

The most important part of Michael Sanabria being a teacher and a soldier is the and. Wherever he is, he’s both. All the time.

A double life.

A teacher and a soldier.

Sanabria is responsible for the education of the country’s youth but at the same time responsible for the safety and well-being of the country itself. He has both kids and peers looking to him for advice and relying on him to not let them down.

A man who has people depending on him in all aspects of his life.

A man that teaches high school geography.

A man that is a master sergeant in the Army National Guard.

Michael Sanabria is known to most people at McCallum High School as a geography teacher that occasionally will disappear for chunks at a time. He is the teacher that has a class full of students still using their computers for their lessons when he is gone, and watch videos or do online assignments while he’s away.

The slightly lesser-known part of Sanabria’s life and the reason for his spans of absence are due to the other and equally important part of his life. He is also in the military part-time and is the top officer on his special forces team. He’s been a soldier since he graduated high school.

He knew that going to college wasn’t what he wanted to do as soon as he graduated and that he could wait to pursue an education and teaching career till later. He joined the Army straight out of high school and switched to being in the National Guard when he started teaching.

Being both a teacher and a soldier means that he is responsible for the education of the country’s youth but at the same time responsible for the safety and well-being of the country itself. He has both kids and peers looking to him for advice and relying on him to not let them down.

The most important part of him being a teacher and a soldier is the and.

He’s both.

He isn’t one all of the time and the other only sometimes. He shows that he can and is both at the same time, all the time.