Wunz for the win

Versatile senior balances sports, clubs, academics, maintains positive mindset to get most out of high school

Senior+Charlotte+Wunz+%28right%29+with+teammate+Abbey+Saray+at+the+Hoka+McNeil+Cross+Country+Invitational.+Wunz+is+captain+of+the+girls+cross+country+team+this+season%2C+as+well+as+the+girls+varsity+tennis+co-captain+and+one+of+the+founders+of+the+crochet+club.+

Nate Williams

Senior Charlotte Wunz (right) with teammate Abbey Saray at the Hoka McNeil Cross Country Invitational. Wunz is captain of the girls cross country team this season, as well as the girls varsity tennis co-captain and one of the founders of the crochet club.

Camilla Vandegrift, staff reporter

Senior Charlotte Wunz believes everything happens for a reason. So even while suffering from a stress fracture in her foot, she has been juggling two sports, Crochet Club, writing center, student council and rigorous schoolwork. Through it all, she’s kept an optimistic outlook admired by all who know her.

“I’m just taking full advantage of it,” Wunz said. “I see it as a positive.”

Wunz is the 2022 varsity girls cross country captain. Her role is to lead stretches and warm-ups and set an example for the other runners.

“I’m friends with everyone on the team, so it’s kind of funny having to make sure everyone’s in line,” Wunz said. 

Her coach and teammates observe her ability to balance leadership with her friendly disposition.  

I try to use my free time as productively as possible. I think everything is all about balance, and so balancing giving yourself rest while being so busy can prevent burnout.

— senior Charlotte Wunz

“She’s the best motivational speaker,” cross-country coach Courtney Long said. “Charlotte does everything—she’s currently injured, and she’s still coming to practice to help out the team.”

On top of her duties as cross country captain, Wunz is also a leader of the recently established Crochet Club, a writing center and student council member, and a co-captain of the varsity tennis team.

Wunz founded the Crochet Club with juniors Cecilia Passos and Anabel Tellez.

“Just because it was one of our favorite hobbies,” Wunz said.

She and her co-founders are working toward an inclusive environment for the club.

“We’re really going to try to tie in our community even though it just started, like maybe doing a Secret Santa when Christmas comes around.”

Wunz is also active in her position as a writing center tutor.

“It’s really fun,” she said. “I just had my first tutoring session, and I got very into it, and lunch went by very fast.”

Writing is one of her favorite classes in school. “I kind of lose the time with it unlike any other subject.”

With so much on her plate, it takes a lot of work for Wunz to stay on top of her schedule.

“I just try to use my free time as productively as possible,” Wunz said. “I think everything is all about balance, and so balancing giving yourself rest while being so busy can prevent burnout.”

Wunz at the varsity tennis 2021 bi-district tournament. (Francie Wilhelm)

Even though all of her activities take a lot of time out of her day, Wunz still finds everything worthwhile.

“I feel like being well rounded and having your interest in multiple different subjects at one time makes school a lot easier,” she said.

Wunz also values her sports in her life, especially now that she can’t play them currently due to her stress fracture.

“It’s an outlet to release my energy and be physical, to get natural endorphins and everything like that.”

Long has noticed Wunz’s ability to balance her life and be engaged in all of her activities even though she was new to McCallum as a junior. 

“She’s a dual-athlete doing cross country and tennis, which is very grueling, and she’s just fit right in like she’s been here all four years,” Long said.

Even with all of her various commitments, Wunz still maintains a mostly positive attitude towards her misfortunate stress fracture.

“It’s really upsetting because I’ve never been forced to not exercise in my life,” Wunz said. “But maybe I’m just going to focus on my other hobbies for now and then hopefully I can be healed and continue the season. It’s a curveball, and it really does suck, but obviously mourning over it isn’t going to fix the injury.”

She’s always positive no matter what, she’s always on time, she’s happy to be there.

— cross country coach Courtney Long

Wunz continues to support the team at practices and races, something that cross country boys’ captain Owen McGuire has noticed.

“She’s really good to work with,” McGuire said. “She leads in a cool, positive way which I think is a good quality for a leader.” 

Long agrees with that assessment 100 percent.

“She’s always positive no matter what,” she said. “She’s always on time, she’s happy to be there.”

Wunz has high hopes for her senior year, especially after her injury heals. McGuire and Long see a bright future for her as well. 

“I hope to make as many memories as I can and just take advantage of the last year of high school,” Wunz said. “[I am] being as involved as possible and just being positive during stressful times.”