Yearbook staff and friends deliver 769 of 867 yearbooks during first-ever summer drive-by distribution

Rising junior Samantha Powers waits behind the wheel as rising senior Lindsey Plotkin hands Katharine Powers, Samantha’s mom, two yearbooks during the yearbook staff’s curbside distribution on Friday in front of the school. Samantha Powers drove because she got her driver’s license the day before. Yearbook students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves as they distributed books. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Jena Weber and Dave Winter

Thank you Mac Knights for buying a yearbook and for picking it up during one of our four summer distribution days. During the four days of distribution, our main distribution day on Friday Aug. 7 and the three extra distribution days the following week, we have distributed 769 of the record number 867 yearbooks that have been purchased. Thank you for supporting the 2019-2020 yearbook staff. With special thanks to language arts teachers Mary Mathew and Cassandra Troy who volunteered to help direct traffic even though they weren’t asked to do so.

Rising senior Luci Borowski reaches for a yearbook during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school. Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Rising senior Zazie Bryant, class of 2020 graduate Gabby Sherwood and rising junior Sarah Crow search for a personalized yearbook during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school. Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Class of 2020 graduate Gabby Sherwood and rising junior Sarah Crow search for a personalized yearbook during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school.  Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Rising senior Lindsey Plotkin and rising junior Elly Schottman deliver yearbooks during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school.  Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Class of 2020 graduate Jordan Trimyer returns his statistics textbook while rising senior Lindsey Plotkin prepares to deliver a yearbook to the next car in line during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school. Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Cars line up on the circle drive in front of McCallum High School during the yearbook staff’s curbside distribution on Friday in front of the school. Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Rising junior Lily Dashner searches for a personalized yearbook while rising senior Lindsey Plotkin waits to deliver the book during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school.  Students wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Dave Winter.

Balfour yearbook representative Jim Anderson delivers a yearbook to the trunk of a car while McCallum High School yearbook staffs wait to deliver book to the next cars in line during McCallum High School’s curbside yearbook distribution on Friday in front of the school. Students and parents picking up yearbook had the option of requesting trunk deliver to minimize the risk of COVID-19 exposure. Yearbook student volunteers wore facial masks and nitrile gloves for the same reason. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Jena Weber.

With the help of Balfour yearbook representative Jim Anderson, the McCallum High School yearbook staff set up two lanes to deliver yearbooks more efficiently during curbside distribution on Friday in front of the school. Students and adults wore facial masks and nitrile gloves. The book delivery was delayed to late summer because Balfour, the Dallas-based publisher, was closed for nearly two months and because students had to complete the yearbook remotely after the campus was closed on March 13. Photo by Jena Weber.

Junior Jamie Guckenberger proudly shows off the yearbook from the driver’s seat of his MG convertible. Photo by Dave Winter.

Rising senior Abby Robison directs traffic into one of two lanes the yearbook staff created in order to keep the lines moving quickly. Several parents posted to Facebook that they were impressed with how quick and efficient the yearbook distribution process was. Photo by Dave Winter.

Many of the MVP’s (most valuable photographers) who kept MacJournalism stocked with a surplus of great sports photos during the 2019-2020 school year showed their versatility and team commitment by showing up on a Monday morning (Aug. 10) to help distribute the 2020 yearbook, whose pages frequently display their collective talents. Photo by Dave Winter.

Rising juniors Grace Nugent, Annabel Winter, Kennedy Weatherby and Anna McClellan give the thumbs up. They may have been giving their objective endorsement to the 2020 yearbook because even though none of them were on the yearbook staff, they volunteered to help distribute them on a sweltering Monday morning in August. Photo by Dave Winter.

Appopriately dressed in the 2018-2019 MacJournalism staff T-shirt, Shield staffer Anna McClellan approaches a vehicle in order to deliver the passenger’s yearbook. After developing a talent for illustrations and editorial cartoons this past year, McClellan will serve the Shield staff as design and visuals editor for the 2020-2021 school year. Photo by Dave Winter.

While junior Annabel Winter writes a receipt for a yearbook purchase, fellow junior Kennedy Weatherby gives the photographer the thumbs up and (we presume) a smile from beneath her protective facial mask. Weatherby and Winter also worked side by side underneath the Knights’ offensive basket at basketball games throughout the year, capturing many published images of McCallum basketball teams. Photo by Dave Winter.

Normally behind the camera, McCellan, Nugent, Weatherby and Winter show, during a slow moment during a makeup distribution day, that they can also be comfortable with the camera pointed at them as well. Photo by Dave Winter.

Senior Javier Vela delivers a yearbook to a drive-by customer during a scorching hot Wednesday lunchtime shift on Aug. 12. Photo by Dave Winter.

Senior Javier Vela scrolls through the box of personalized books looking for the book he needs to distribute during a sweltering Wednesday lunchtime shift on Aug. 12. Photo by Dave Winter.

Junior Elisha Scott (right) and sophomores Josie Bradsby (center) and Lydia Reedy (left) are Shield staffers, but they volunteered to help distribute yearbooks on Thursday Aug. 13. Their willingness to help out however needed is most appreciated and the key to any program’s long-term success. Photo by Dave Winter.

Junior Elisha Scott delivers a yearbook during the third and final supplementary yearbook distribution day on Thursday afternoon, Aug. 13. Scott is a Shield staff and will be managing editor of the newspaper in the upcoming school year. She volunteered to help distribute yearbooks despite being a newspaper, further cementing her role as the MacJournalism MVP. Photo by Dave Winter.

They were rock stars in photojournalism, consistently volunteering to do interviews that weren’t originally assigned to them just to help out, so was it any surprise that rising sophomores Lydia Reedy and Josie Bradsby answered the call to help distribute yearbooks on a hot summer Thursday afternoon? Nope. Photo by Dave Winter.

The afternoon distribution crew poses for a picture during a rare slow moment in the distribution process on Friday, Aug. 7. Lily Dashner, Elly Schottman, Lindsey Plotkin, Noah Cirkiel, Hannah Zuniga, Luci Borowski, Abby Robison and Mira MacLaurin. Photo by Dave Winter. (Dave Winter)