A Paradigm postscript in 400-plus photos

Senior Skel Gracie took home first place, but a packed MAC, our huge gallery proves night was full of winners

Stella Shenkman, staff reporter

image_pdfimage_print

The MAC stage was transformed on Jan. 12 into a runway for the McCallum visual arts department’s annual benefit fashion show.

Featured student designers, models and directors were given the chance to showcase their work for a sold-out audience.

I find the process of being able to take something from vague sketches to tangible, complete outfits really rewarding, and it’s always amazing to look back and realize like, ‘Oh hey, I did that!”

— Benefit fashion show winner Skel Gracie

The show’s theme, Paradigm, was also crucial to the process designers used to create their looks. Each designer pulled inspiration from a paradigm, a selected archetype, and portrayed it in their line.

Before the show began, VIP audience members were gifted with a special goody bag, access to the VIP room with live music and food during intermission, and reserved seats on stage during the performance.

At the end of the show, the winner was announced for the 2019 benefit fashion show, senior Skel Gracie. Gracie was awarded a prize of $500 and the opportunity for her line to be featured and walked in a professional fashion show.

“My archetype was ‘creature of nightmares’” Gracie told The Shield.

“I drew inspiration from my own, personal nightmares, as well as the common themes of pop-horror like American horror story.”

2019 was Gracie’s second year designing in the fashion show.

“My favorite part about making the line was the creativity I was able to have, such as the problem solving aspect of a lot of the garments.” Gracie said. “I find the process of being able to take something from vague sketches to tangible, complete outfits really rewarding, and it’s always amazing to look back and realize like, ‘Oh hey, I did that!”

The student-run show was led by senior directors Chloe Shields, Elijah Stephens and McKenna Carpenter and junior directors Finn Shehan, Brooke Miller and Byron Kinard.

Faculty sponsors Ana O’keefe, Sarah Hathaway, and Margaret Smith took on the considerable task of replacing long time faculty sponsor Mary Ghazi, who retired at the end of the 2017-2018 school year.

We are pleased to share our exclusive MacJournalism gallery of more than 400 images of this year’s show and dress rehearsal. Photos by Ian Clennan, Risa Darlington-Horta, Scarlett Houser, Gregory James, Caleb Melville, Bella Russo, Stella Shenkman, Gabby Sherwood and Luca Snowhorn.