It’s the finals countdown …

Freshmen anxious before first Mac finals can get answers from those who have come before … and survived

David Winter

JUST THE HIGHLIGHTS: Freshman Bella Davis looks over her highlighted notes for French class with a partner. Photo by David Winter.

Kennedy Weatherby, guest writer

It’s the most studious time of the year!

Isn’t that how the song goes?

As the semester is coming to its end, the school work is beginning to drastically increase. With finals right around the corner, students are beginning to prepare themselves for that dreadful week. However, many underclassmen aren’t sure how to prepare, yet.

For freshmen, finals can be very stressful. It’s their first time having a final in every class and some are not sure what to expect.

For some, it’s a source of significant anxiety.

Selena De Jesus
DEEP IN THOUGHT: Sophomore Abby Soto studies alone for her geometry final that is right around the corner. She takes the time in class that her teacher gave her. Photo by Selena de Jesus.

“Finals are very stressful!” freshman Anna Bausman said. “I hate tests and quizzes because you don’t know for sure what’s on them.”

But luckily for Bausman, we have some finals experts all around us … seniors … experts who can offer advice for any novice high schoolers who are worried.

Senior Lael Weatherby shared some of her techniques and strategies of how she prepares.

In English I like to study with friends so I can get other’s perspectives on a book we read, while in math I like to study alone, so I know I can do it myself.

— senior Lael Weatherby

“I will look over my old tests and quizzes to get a good idea of what the questions will be about. Also if the teacher gives me a review, I will do it ”

There are different opinions on whether or not it’s more beneficial to study in a group or as an individual.

Sophomore Tyler McHorse prefers to study with his friends because it keeps him engaged and is less boring than studying alone. Bausman prefers studying alone because she cannot focus.

But senior Lael Weatherby, our finals expert, said it best.

“In English I like to study with friends so I can get other’s perspectives on a book we read, while in math I like to study alone, so I know I can do it myself.”

One thing the underclassman tend to worry about is if their teachers will help them or not.

“I feel like the teachers at McCallum really want you to do well on your final, so they would definitely help you,” Weatherby said,

Teachers don’t want you to fail the final, they want you to do your best. If you are confused on a question, go talk to your teacher. There is no shame in asking for help.

I try to take it one test at a time, to only focus on one. If I try to do too much I’ll start stressing myself out.

— sophomore Tyler McHorse

Most of all, don’t stress. Overcoming anxiety is one of your biggest obstacles when taking a final. High stress levels while testing could affect your performance on the final. But there are ways to avoid getting too stressed while preparing and taking the test.

“I try to take it one test at a time, to only focus on one,” McHorse said. “If I try to do too much I’ll start stressing myself out.”

Freshman Anna Bausman agreed.

“To avoid getting too stressed I will take breaks while studying. If I don’t I’ll zone out.”

So give it your all. It’s definitely worth it to put to go the extra mile. After all, there’s only a few more tough days and then a wonderful break.

Do you have any advice about how to study best for finals? If so we’d love to hear it. Post it as a reply to this story. Maybe you’ll help someone get that A they are working hard to earn.