Man of the knight

Harrison Brown wins Mr. McCallum

Photo gallery by Aiden Foster

Meet the 2015 Mr. McCallum contestants

Each year, 12 brave McCallum senior boys step onto the stage to raise money for prom night. The contestants present a talent, show off their swimsuits, dance and answer hard-hitting interview questions while hilarity ensues. Audience members vote with their tickets and and additional money for the candidate they think best embodies the McCallum spirit. Saturday night, the boys of 2015 take the stage at 7 p.m. in the MAC. Find out what each contestant has to say and vote for your favorite below.

[color-box color=blue]

harrisonreal

Harrison Brown

“I will bring humor with my partner Jake Holmes. I don’t think many people know what we’re going to do. I think our talent is pretty unique. There’s only one winner, but we’re performing together. I just want to have fun and make people laugh.”

The Shield: Why should you  be Mr. McCallum?

Brown: “I should be Mr. McCallum because I’m the best man at McCallum.”

[/color-box]

[color-box color=gray]

adamreal

Adam Freng

“I’m going to bring the swag and I’m going to bring the energy. I’m just going to hop on that stage and I’m going to do me. I’m just going to light the house on fire. It’s going to be crazy, and everyone’s going to be laughing. I’m going to enjoy it. I am definitely the embodiment of a McCallum guy. I am the perfect specimen as a male. Mentally I’ve been preparing myself to be in front of a ton of people and to just get out there and do my thing.”

The Shield: Why should people come see Mr. McCallum?

Freng: “I’m not going to go into detail, but it’s going to be pretty slammin’. We’re all collaborating to make our acts the best. It’s going to be a good year.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=blue]

johnreal

John Garcia

“I’ve had four years to plan this, from the first time that I learned my talent from Mr. Martin, so I have preparation on my side. It’s something I can’t disclose to the general public. I want it. I want it so badly. I need it. I’ve been practicing so much.”

The Shield: How have you been preparing for the big night?

Garcia: “It’s all about consistency. You’ve got to practice every day. You’ve got to focus. I haven’t thought about [the swimsuit portion] yet. I might need to start hitting the gym!”[/color-box]

[color-box color=gray]jakehreal

Jake Holmes

“We’re going to have a pretty tantalizing act. It’s going to be pretty flamboyant. We’re going to teach the guys how to treat the ladies.”

The Shield: What is it like performing with a partner?

Holmes: “[Performing with another person] is a lot better because you’re not going in alone. If I make a fool of myself, I’ll at least be doing it with one of my best friends. I’ll be happy if he wins. I’ll be really happy.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=blue]

jakejreal

Jake Janssen

“I feel like I’ve got a lot of really good features. I feel like I’m really gonna try to make it funny and enjoyable for everyone. I’m just gonna have a good time with it. If I win, I’ll be very happy with that. If not… I just want to have fun with it.”

The Shield: What can we expect from your performance in Mr. McCallum?

Janssen: “Laughs, love, tears, drama, scandal.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=gray]

Matt

Matt Leblanc

“I’m personally going to bring a form of song. I’m not sure which one yet; I’m still debating. My goal is to have a laugh. I signed up because I thought it would be fun. I joined because my dad and uncle have both won this before me. If I don’t win, I’m not going to be sad about it. I’m pretty excited. It’s going to be a fun event.”

The Shield: Why should you be Mr. McCallum?

Leblanc: “Eh.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=blue]

rosereal

Rosevelt Mathews

“I’m going to bring the most cool and funny personality I could ever bring. People are going to see the other side of me. They see the athletic Rose, the football player, all district, but they’ve never seen this side of Rose. I should be Mr. McCallum because I carry myself well. I’m respectful to my teachers. I have a good relationship with pretty much half of the administration. I can carry the title very well and support my school.”

The Shield:  What can we expect from your performance?

Mathews: “If you come to Mr. McCallum, it’s going to be nice but also funny. So what you’re going to see is some dancing, and you’re going to see some lip syncing, but all along with a slideshow.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=gray]

miguelreal

Miguel Minick

“What am I going to bring to the table? Class and panache. I am the sweetheart of the school. I’m doing it for the glory and the honor, to put the team on my back. There’s been a lot of mental preparation. A lot of meditation, sort of reflection. Mental warm ups every day, pep talks. Some stretching.”

The Shield: Can you give us a sneak preview of your act?

Minick: *Winks*[/color-box]

[color-box color=blue]

rajreal

Raj Patel

“I’m bringing my talent. Bringing some hip hop dancing and traditional Indian dancing to spice it up.   Anybody who has the most talent should be Mr. McCallum.”

The Shield: How have you been preparing for the show?

Patel: “I’ve been working out once in a while, you know, hitting the gym.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=gray]

TreyTrey Smith

“[I will be bringing] my eccentric personality and humor. I show up, and I don’t always show up to everything else.”

The Shield: What have you been doing to prepare for the show?

Smith: “Absolutely nothing.”

[/color-box]

[color-box color=blue]

kylereal

Kyle Teseny

“I’m going to bring a whole new level of humor and hilarity and masculinity. It’s going to be pretty sweet. I think I’ve kind of got everything. I may not have the best swimsuit body, but I kind of embody the McCallum free spirit, a little bit of smarts, a little bit of humor a little bit of ‘artsy-ness.’ It should just be great. I’ve got to rehearse my routine a little bit, maybe do a few extra push ups for the swimsuit section, make sure my swimsuit is tight enough.”

The Shield: Can you give us a sneak preview of your performance?

Teseny: “Let’s just say I will be wearing makeup.”[/color-box]

[color-box color=gray]

colin1

Colin Youngblood

“[I’m doing my talent with] Miguel Minnick and Jake Janssen, the studs of McCallum. When we were together coming up with ideas, we didn’t want to take each other’s. If we had three separate acts, we would’ve wanted to do things that involve other people anyway. Honestly, I probably shouldn’t be Mr. McCallum. Adam Freng should probably be Mr. McCallum. Adam or Kyle.”

The Shield: What do you bring to the table?

Youngblood: “I don’t think anyone is taking everything super-seriously, but I think most of them are afraid to get weird. I’m not afraid to get weird, so I’d say that’s what I’m bringing to the table.

[/color-box]

Poll: vote for your favorite contestant

[yop_poll id=”5″]