Student witness helps families of car crash victims

Senior Josh Brown displays a cellphone link to the GoFundMe page to raise money for the funeral expenses of car crash victim Ashley Martinez. Photo by Lily McCormick.

Lily McCormick

On Jan. 5, senior Josh Brown witnessed a severe car accident in which two people were killed: 15-year old Eloy Herrera and 23-year old Ashley Martinez. Brown felt so devastated by the crash that he decided to try to help the families involved. He was not able to get in touch with the Herrera’s family but, by chance, a friend of his shared a link to a GoFundMe page made by a family member of Martinez’s to help pay for funeral expenses. He then decided he would do what he could to spread the word about the accident and what people could do to help her family. Here’s what he shared with us.

“I was in the P. Terry’s drive-through line, the one by I-35 and Capital Plaza. I was ordering food and I heard a loud crash, like I could hear the truck crash into the SUV. As soon as I heard that, the person who was taking my order just stopped talking and everything just went silent. I knew something was  wrong then, so I got out of my car, and I went around the building where I could see, and as soon as I turned the corner, all I could see was this SUV completely in flames. Immediately I took out my phone and took a video, and the first thing that came to my mind was how the family would feel. How hurt they would be about what was happening, and I just felt helpless watching. It was  very hurtful and heartbreaking to watch.

“Seeing that and not being able to do anything about it really got to me, so one day I was on social media, and I found a GoFundMe link [for one of the victims] that someone had shared, coincidentally. I was like, ‘Oh I saw that!’ you know, ‘I witnessed that,’ so I was like, I want to help this family out because people weren’t sharing money, really. They only had about $600 in the account out of the $15,000 that they needed, so I thought this was the least I could do to help the family and do something for them because of the helpless feeling I felt then.”

Herrera’s family has also started a GoFundMe page to pay for his funeral. To donate to either of the victim’s families, click the links below.

Ashley Martinez Funeral Expenses GoFundMe page

Eloy Herrera Funeral Expenses GoFundMe page

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Student witness helps families of car crash victims”

1. Bella R on January 19th, 2018 1:56 pm

Very informative and definitely an event that needed coverage. Thank you for using this platform to directly help the family!

[Reply]

2. J. Mariana on January 19th, 2018 1:59 pm

It is remarkable at how things that change peoples lives everyday happen and how people don’t do anything or don’t care. Thank you for doing what you can to help these families.

[Reply]

3. Molly Blackman on January 19th, 2018 2:07 pm

wow. truly inspiring. the hearts of MAC kids are so big

[Reply]

4. Renee Ziegler on January 23rd, 2018 11:33 am

I’m so glad this story is getting covered. It’s important to hear what happened and how Josh stepped up to help. Thank you for adding links to the GoFundMes, and making sure this story is told.

[Reply]

5. Aidan Golliher on January 23rd, 2018 11:37 am

Great story of students helping out the community. This story was a great way to highlight this students achievement that definitely needed recognition

[Reply]

6. Rowan Lerman on January 23rd, 2018 11:41 am

I love how he reached out to the family, he didn’t need to but he truly wanted the best for everyone and to help, that type of story really inspires people to become a better person throughout their life.

[Reply]

7. Molly Odland on January 23rd, 2018 12:02 pm

So sad to have lives lost at such young ages. A wonderful thing Josh Brown is doing to help the families of the victim’s.

[Reply]

8. Sophia Shampton on February 22nd, 2018 12:13 pm

I couldn’t find anything on the news about this crash when I first heard about it from friends sharing Ashley Martinez’s photo on their snapchat stories and trying to spread the word to get the gofundme going, so I’m glad that there is an article reaching out to help those families with their losses.

[Reply]

• Student witness helps families of car crash victims

News

Austinites gather to mourn lives lost in recent Texas school shooting

News

Bringing a dark topic to light

News

The Ayes of Texas are upon us

News

Teachers fight for their right to fair pay

News

Radio silenced as SROs move into new headquarters

News

Students storm Capitol to ask for safer schools

News

Shield captures first ever Online Pacemaker Award

News

Macjournalism wins 123 Best of Texas awards

News

Meeting picks up where march left off

News

Shield awarded Blue and Gold honors