Talented junior is all about that bass

Junior Pablo Kennedy practices a solo piece during Mr. Pringle's fourth-period bass class. Accepted into the National Youth Orchestra, he plans to pursue a career in orchestral bass following his graduation next year. Photo by Julia Robertson.
Junior Pablo Kennedy practices a solo piece during Mr. Pringle’s fourth-period bass class. Accepted into the National Youth Orchestra, he plans to pursue a career in orchestral bass following his graduation next year. Photo by Julia Robertson.

Earlier this month on what he thought what was just a regular day, junior orchestra major and classical bassist Pablo Kennedy got some surprising news. Kennedy had been accepted into the National Youth Orchestra, a program which he had applied to on a whim.

I frankly wasn’t expecting it at all,” Kennedy said shyly of his acceptance. “I almost didn’t even apply, but I’m really glad I did.”

It clearly proved to be worth it.

The National Youth Orchestra is a highly selective and prestigious orchestra training program for young orchestral musicians aged 16-19 from all over the nation. The orchestra is put together by Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute, and includes three weeks of training with orchestra professionals. After the weeks of professional training, the orchestra will have its kickoff performance at Carnegie Hall in New York City, followed by an international tour of several vibrant Latin American music capitals including Mexico City, Mexico; Quito, Ecuador; and Bogotá, Colombia. The program begins this coming summer in July.

The program states that they aim to cultivate “dynamic music ambassadors”, and Kennedy is especially looking forward to working with and being exposed to fellow musicians of such a high caliber.

It’s pretty great to know that you’re going to be playing with people at that level of musicianship from all over the country,” Kennedy said. “I’m most excited about getting to play with people at that level of dedication.”

The audition process is quite thorough, in order to guarantee that the program find the kind of musicianship, dedication, and personality that they seek within their applicant pool. Applicants were required to prepare excerpts chosen for their specific instrument, as well as perform a solo piece of their choosing. In addition to the musical showcase, Kennedy was required to create an autobiographical video essay in which he talked about his most memorable musical experience.

The application resembles the audition process one may go through when applying for a music conservatory for college, which Kennedy said would likely be useful since he is planning on applying to music conservatories for bass come his senior year.

In addition to Kennedy receiving high-level musical experiences and exposure to new cultures, Kennedy will also get to strengthen his family ties. Because of the program’s venturing into Mexico, Kennedy will have the special opportunity to meet family in Mexico that he’s never been able to meet in person before.

Kennedy is the first ever McCallum student to be selected as a member of the National Youth Orchestra, and his landmark acceptance is a reflection on his successful journey in the McCallum orchestra program these past three years.

Ricky Pringle, chamber orchestra director and bass teacher, referred to Kennedy’s acceptance as a “humongous honor”. Pringle, who has been working with Kennedy in different capacities since 2010, reflected on Kennedy’s remarkable growth as a musician and person throughout the time he has spent at McCallum thus far.

“Pablo is a very hardworking and dedicated young musician,” Pringle said. “He has grown to be and continues to grow as a leader and fine example for the McCallum Orchestra program.”

Though Kennedy is currently one of the top five bass high-school level bassists in the state of Texas, Pringle says that doesn’t keep him from staying grounded and considerate of his fellow orchestra members at McCallum.

“Pablo is quite humble about his abilities and accomplishments”, he said. “(He) is always willing to help students that need it without hesitation.”

The skills and growth that Kennedy has demonstrated throughout his time at McCallum make it clear that the National Youth Orchestra is a natural next leg of his orchestral journey, and it’s unlikely he’ll stop there.

View Comments (1)