On Friday Dec. 16, 2022, advanced and AP biology teacher Gabriel Adame was honored as the 2023 Teacher of the Year. He was honored by principal Nicole Griffith and the assistant principals, as well as his fifth period students who were present for the surprise announcement.
Gaby Esquivel
Categories:

Adame to return to Mac as an assistant principal

2023 Teacher of the Year completes master’s degree, enabling return to campus he credits with inspiring his career path
Adame credited his mentors for encouraging him to aspire to be a campus leader. Photo courtesy of Andy Baxa.

One year after departing from Mac for UT’s Texas Principal Leadership Academy, former science teacher Gabe Adame will return to Mac in the role of an assistant principal, Principal Andy Baxa told MacJ on June 3.

Baxa said he was thrilled about being able to facilitate Adame’s return to Sunshine Drive.

“Mr. Adame’s experience as an instructional leader, community builder and a champion for inclusivity will greatly benefit the McCallum community. Welcome home, Mr. Adame!”

For his part, Adame at first appeared to offer a more sinister take on the news of the day.

“It’s been part of my evil plan all along,” Adame joked before offering a more substantive answer.

Adame said he felt a strong desire to return to McCallum.

“I’d say it comes down to three things: the students, the staff and the community,” he said. “I owe it to all of them for the growth and drive they’ve fostered in me. There isn’t a better place to be, and I’m ready to serve them for years to come.”

Adame credited his mentors, namely fellow science teacher turned Brentwood Elementary administrator Elise Baughman, for encouraging him to pursue leadership opportunities. After the Maculty voted him the 2023 Mac Teacher of the Year, he left at the end of the 2022-2023 school year in order to return to UT to study administrative leadership.

“Since June last year, I’ve worked hard on completing my M. Ed in a year in hopes that I could someday serve the community that had given so much to me.”

That day has arrived.