ILPC Photo Portfolio

Black Girl Magic contest winner senior Sahara Cumberbatch stands in front of the “Black Girl Magic” billboard in the central hallway. She received her award from Tonya Moore on March 6 for the submission of her piece, “Women of Light and Color.” The contest was organized as part of the Black History Month event series at McCallum with the intention of highlighting Black female artists. Cumberbatch, won a coffee mug along with a $25 gift card. Cumberbatch’s winning submission was an art piece depicting a young Black woman empowered by her individuality. “I entered this piece because the inspiration was my identity as a Black girl, and because of that, the parts of me that make me stand out physically for most of my classmates,” she said. Cumberbatch hopes her piece will inspire confidence in embracing differences and emphasize the message that you don’t have to change the things that make you unique. “This year as a senior art major all my artworks have to connect in some way,” she said. “I’ve been exploring the struggles I faced with myself at times that up until now I usually try to ignore Cumberbatch viewed the contest as an opportunity to embrace her identity and show appreciation for Black History Month. She is especially thankful to contest organizer Tonya Moore, Students of Color Alliance sponsor, for encouraging her to submit her artwork to the contest. “Ms. Moore said that I should enter one of my art pieces. Because I’m a major, she thought It would be good to have one of my works,” she said. “I appreciate the chance for Black people and Black culture to be celebrated. Seeing the different submissions makes me smile whenever I walk in the hallways.” Photo by Gergó Major.
    TAKING ACTION: Junior Zephan Mayeda leans against a tree during the walkout holding a sign reading “bullets aren’t school supplies.” He participated in the walkout to protest against the lack of gun protection in the US and draw attention to the statewide protest. “Children are dying due to government’s apathy and corporate lobbying against any action of any kind,” Mayeda said. Mayeda was disappointed in the lack of organization that came with the protest, but still participated. “Better something than nothing,” he said. Mayeda offered what he would love to see at the walkout. “I would have loved to see marching, chants, speeches, lists of phone numbers to call senators, names pictures and birthdays of the victims, flyers promoting the protest days weeks or months even in advance, mass absences, an actual walkout for those who can’t not go to school that isn’t just 20 mins of sitting,” Mayeda said. Although he was underwhelmed, Mayeda appreciated the symbolism. “I think it held some importance in regards to symbolic gestures,” Mayeda said. Photo by Gergő Major.
    Junior Maverick Palacios and sophomore Abigail Peacock and perform the Cinco de Mayo show last spring. Photo by Gergő Major.

A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS: Moments after being announced prom king and queen, seniors Ron Wolleben and Ellie Collard embrace one another. For Collard, the win was unexpected — she didn’t even notice she’d won at first. “I was pretty shocked when I found out I’d won because I didn’t even realize they were announcing it,” Collard said. “I was standing in the back of the room and one of my friends ran up to me and said I had won. It was obviously really exciting hearing that the seniors had voted me to be prom queen and I felt very grateful.” Collard felt honored to be given the title of Prom Queen by her peers, but found that the best part of her night was not the big win, but simply being around her friends. [I loved] dancing with all of my friends and all of the people that I don’t see as often outside of school,” Collard said. “It makes me feel very greatful that I was recognized by the seniors.” Photo by Gergő Major.
    MacTheatre’s production of She Kills Monsters opened on the Fine Arts Building Theater stage at 7:30 p.m. on May 11. The show concludes Mac Theatre’s 2022-23 season, Better Together. The play tells the story of Agnes and her journey to learn more about her sister through the world of Dungeons and Dragons. ‘It’s a hilarious romp through ‘gos nerd culture with a heart of gold and a heartwarming message,· junior Marshall Clifton (far left) said. The cast began rehearsing in April to put this production together. Due to the number of other productions, however, incfuding the student written an produced musical. Cows the Moosical. going on at the same time, rehearsals looked very different from tlie year’s previous productions. “It’s been a little hard to coordinate everything with all the other programs and projects going on, but the directors and stage managers have been amazing at making sure everything still gets done,· Clifton said. ·Tech week has been stress[u[because of the massive amounts of technical elements of this show, but Ms. V and the technicians have been so amazingly efficient with making everything come together just in time tor the show.· Photo by Gerg6 Major. (Gergo Major)