ILPC Photo Portfolio

A DUEL AT DUSK: After receiving a pass from a teammate, freshman defender Maya Garwood tries to bring the ball under control about 30 yards from the Nederland goal. Garwood told MacJ afterward that she felt she was fouled on the play. The Knights defeated the Bulldogs, 4-1, thanks to four goals scored by Garwood’s teammate, senior Sarah Hauck. “The team we played was aggressive, so it was a good win,” Garwood said. “We worked well to get the ball forward and communicated.” The win was part of the Knights’ participation in the Blue Bell tournament in Brenham in early January. The Knights lost their other two games in the tournament, which was more about preparation for the district season than worrying about the scoreboard. “It was an adjustment,” Garwood said of the tournament. “We hadn’t practiced a lot before [the tournament] and didn’t know everyone well, but it definitely made us better.” Photo by Julia Copas.
    SPIRIT SHOWDOWN: At KXAN reporter Sean Kelly’s urging the Blue Brigade, cheer and percussion section students assembled outside Taco Shack cheer with enthusiasm to encourage KXAN viewers to vote for McCallum in the online spirit contest vote that at the time was a virtual tie. After a four-year winning streak, however, McCallum lost the vote against Anderson in the KXAN Taco Shack Bowl Spirit Contest by 314 votes out of 28,640 votes cast. Photo by Julia Copas.

EYES ON THE PRIZE: Every Knight in this image, the ones on the court, the ones on the bench and even Coach Brodbeck in the far left corner all stare intently at the ball with laser focus as a Cedar Creek middle blocker turns and tips the ball just over the net to the Knights’ side of the court during the fourth and final set of the Knights’ 3-1 bi-district playoff win at Cedar Creek on Oct. 30. “It was a really close game, and we were kind of going point for point,” sophomore setter Lexi Rosenblatt said. “Cedar Creek’s blocking had been strong so we were all trying to cover really well.” Neither Rosenblatt or middle hitter Greta Carlson could remember for sure who won this point, but Rosenblatt said it probably was a point for the Knights: “I’d like to think we won on a kill to end a long rally.” We would like that too as it would make the photo even more epic, but what we can say for sure is that it was late in a match that the Knights would win to advance to the area playoffs. The Knights played poorly in dropping the first set but rallied from there. “We woke up,” Rosenblatt said. “It was such a fun competitive game. Everyone was going 100 percent the whole time, and I remember Greta being just unstoppable that match. It was such a great feeling to get that [bi-district] title for the second year in a row after working so hard the whole season.” It was doubly satisfying for Rosenblatt who missed the end of her freshman season due to injury and watched her team finish an undefeated district season and advance in the playoff from the bench. “It was an unfortunate end to my freshman season,” Rosenblatt said, “but I do think that made winning it again this year all the more special, especially getting to be a leader on this team this year.” Photo by Julia Copas.

PINK AND PROUD: Sophomore Chloe Seckar-Martinez performs the school fight song with fellow Blue Brigade members at the Pink Week pep rally last Friday. The pep rally differed from others in that it was there to spread breast cancer awareness. “It’s so special being able to dance for such an amazing cause,” Seckar-Martinez said. “Even though we don’t necessarily dance to raise money, we are still able to come together as a team and stand up against breast cancer.” Being Pink Week, the pep rally also came with additional festivities that were specific to the week. “I love everything that comes with Pink Week such as pie-ing the teachers in the face, as well as the decorations and activities at lunch,” Seckar-Martinez said. “I also enjoyed our dance, which sent out a message about being a survivor, which was very special for Pink Week.” Not only did the pep rally support a good cause, but it also allowed groups such as Mac Band and Blue Brigade to show off what they have been working on.
    “I look forward to pep rallies every week we have one,” Seckar-Martinez said. “I just love putting on a big performance and being able to show the people at McCallum the hard work that we do in Blue Brigade.” (Julia Copas)
    DO THE MOSH-ED PIT-ATO: Senior Phin Miller (center) stands in the audience-turned-mosh pit in the Fine Art Building Theater. This year’s Battle of the Bands wasn’t Miller’s first rodeo. In fact, as bassist for the student band Daydreamer, Miller is used to being on the stage; after coming in second place as a sophomore and first as a junior, Miller has had his moments in the Hole in the Wall spotlight. This year, however, his band didn’t perform, so Miller was able to participate in the fundraiser from a different perspective. Photo by Julia Copas.