THROWBACK THURSDAY: Gym poses problems

Campus disrepair a perennial problem, archives suggest
R. Pierce
In many ways, this image retains its merit to this day.

Any object in constant use will show signs of wear–the gymnasium is no different. But in the condition it is now, the gym is both a hazard and an embarrassment to those involved in activities in the gym.

The large gym has three main problems: the lights, the ceiling and the bleachers. Thirty-six lights do not function in the gym. Volleyball players have trouble seeing a white ball coming at them.

In addition, the ceiling has problems staying off the floor. Many times volleyball games have been delayed in order to remove fallen ceiling tiles from playing surfaces.

Spectators risk injury each time they sit in the bleachers. Many slats are cracked and splintering. During the McCallum vs. Westwood varsity volleyball match, spectators took a tumble when part of a bleacher collapsed.

The gym serves as a representative of the school. When a team from another school enters the gym, students feel no sense of school pride, but rather embarrassment about the condition of the gym. Visitors do leave with positive impressions of McCallum.

Repairs are finally being made on the ceiling. However, the results are as disastrous as the original problem. The new tiles are of a different style and composition, creating a patchwork effect and giving the impression of a job shoddily done.

If repairs had been made as the damage occurred, a great deal of risk and expenditure could have been avoided.

As the problem now stands, repairs are not enough. Renovation is needed. Until the renovations are made, the deplorable conditions in the gym will only endanger those using the gym and embarrass the school as well.

This article was published in The Shield on Nov. 2, 1984.