THROWBACK THURSDAY: Mac fashion: an oxymoron?

’94 staffer examines the freshest styles of their day
Unknown reporter
To each his own… Mac has its own dress code which is “everything goes.” From John Knutsen’s duck shoes and layered ensemble to the appropriate headgear John sports his own style. Travis Darwin opts for a more traditional look. Caption by unknown reporter.

Fashions have dominated our lives ever since we became socially aware. Whether that occurred at two years old or 15 years old, this concept of “lookin’ good” and yet being individual holds a firm grasp on us. McCallum is definitely not immune.

Let us take a look at the various styles of clothing prevalent at McCallum: the cowboy, the skater, the granola, the jock/prep, the grunge, and the person-in-black.

These days the cowboy is going for the firm fit. Mainly relying on the classic Wrangler cowboy jeans, Brush Popper shirts, and the mandatory boots, belt buckles and hats, all of which come in all kinds of acceptable styles. The girls can be found wearing Wranglers or Rocky Mountains in a various array of colors, along with either boots or Reeboks. A snug fit is the key, however, to “lookin’ good” as a cowboy.

The skater fashions have undergone some changes from last year. These days, the skater’s pants aren’t quite so over-sized, although they still touch the ground. Just about anything from Blondie’s on the drag will be acceptable, and other stores around town have some finds as well. The hat is forward, which says to me that the modern skater is willing to change the rebellious stereotype.

A snug fit is the key, however, to “lookin’ good” as a cowboy.

Ever present at this school, the granola is starting to wane in its presence here. However, they make themselves known. The unshaven legs on many of the females display a strength which makes me proud to be at McCallum. You go, girls! Like the skaters, the granola wears the backpack on both shoulders, for comfort. Weed clothing, though less accepted in the granola crowd, has become more popular among skaters and gangstas.

We all see them in the halls and at the games, the jock/prep has a strong foothold at McCallum. Loose, but not baggy, jeans and slacks, along with the beer or skiing T-shirt or collared polo shirts. Defying the stereotypes, these strong-willed people of prep-i-ness have broken the mold and are “lookin’ good” so much my eyes can hardly take it.

Be dirty, be grunge. Freedom is the key with today’s trendy punk. Henna is in while day-glo hair colors are out. Wear whatever you want, especially if it’s dirty.

Be dirty, be grunge. Freedom is the key with today’s trendy punk.

Now we look at those walking black holes, those people in black. Does the black say “melancholy?” Does it say “depressed?” No, the blackness is because, as we all know, anyone can look good in black and all the clothes match. Simple, elegant, defined.

Freedom is the most fashionable word at McCallum and our fashions reflect that. Take that as gospel from the fashion source.

This article was published in The Shield on Feb. 18, 1994.