How to maximize your festival experience

Tips and tricks to make the most of your time at ACL
August G
The Austin City Limits Music Festival can be a blast if you approach it the right way and plan ahead to avoid the problems that can drain the fun out of what should be a glorious concert experience.

Austin City Limits (ACL) is more than just a music festival. It is a celebration of music, art and culture that draws thousands of music enthusiasts from all over to the Live Music Capital of the World. ACL attendees will fill Zilker Park for weekend one Oct. 6-8 and once again for weekend two Oct. 13-15. Whether you’re a first-time attendee or a seasoned ACL veteran, there are always new ways to enhance your festival experience. As the McCallum hallways fill with discussions about ACL, the Shield is proud to present a list of tips and tricks to ensure students make the most of their time at ACL.

1. Plan ahead

One of the keys to a successful ACL experience is meticulous planning. Study the festival lineup, create a schedule of your must-see acts and familiarize yourself with the festival map. Download the ACL app for real-time updates, including schedule changes and map navigation.

2. Arrive early

Arriving early not only ensures that you can secure a good spot near your favorite stage but also allows you to beat the crowds. ACL often has surprise guest performances and intimate acoustic sessions in the early hours, so getting there early can lead to delightful surprises.

3. Stay hydrated and sun-safe

Austin can get scorching hot, especially during the festival’s daytime hours. Bring a refillable water bottle and take advantage of the free water stations located throughout the festival grounds. Don’t forget sunscreen, sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat to protect yourself from the sun’s rays.

4. Pack light

Traveling light is essential. ACL has a clear bag policy, so make sure your bags meet the festival’s guidelines. A small backpack or fanny pack can be incredibly handy for carrying essentials like sunscreen, a water bottle and your phone. Keep an eye on your possessions because things often get lost or stolen in the ACL crowd.

5. Pace yourself

With so much happening at ACL, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement and overexert yourself. Pace your day, take breaks and listen to your body. It’s a marathon, not a sprint, so conserve your energy for those headlining acts.

6. Capture memories

Finally, don’t forget to capture the memories. ACL is a fantastic opportunity to create lasting memories with friends and fellow music lovers. Take photos, make videos and share your experiences on social media to relive the magic of the festival long after it’s over.

Austin City Limits is a music lover’s paradise, and we hope that by following these tips and tricks, your ACL experience is unforgettable. From planning your schedule to staying safe in the Texas heat, there are plenty of ways to enhance your festival adventure. So, get ready to dance and sing, and immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Austin City Limits.