Junior named April’s Clifton Student of the Month

Itzel Marielena Ruiz Perez credit her award to her focus, interest, hard work, aspires to become registered nurse

Dominick Segura

Junior and Clifton Student of the Month Itzel Marielena Ruiz Perez will continue to pursue her career ambitions in health science by job-shadowing at St. David’s next year. After graduation, she plans to attend ACC then transfer to UT-San Antonio or UT-Austin. “At this point in my life, I think I will want to work in the nursing field as a registered nurse,” she told the Shield. “I do not know yet exactly which area.”

Dominick Segura, Mac photojournalism

Junior health science student Itzel Marielena Ruiz Perez has been named the Clifton Student of the Month for April. Her teachers cited her attendance, her positive attitude and her sincere interest in learning about health care as reasons for her selection.

Photojournalism student Dominick Segura caught up with Itzel this week to talk with her about the award, what she did to earn it and what she likes to do when she isn’t working hard at school.

Shield: Can you tell me about yourself?

Itzel: I am a junior at McCallum High School, I am hard of hearing and  I’m currently in the Health Science program at Clifton. 

I love science because it’s interesting and useful: it is about life.

— junior Itzel Marielena Ruiz Perez

Shield: What are you learning in school?

Itzel: I am learning medical terminology and anatomy and physiology of the human body. 

Shield: What are your favorite classes?

Itzel: My favorite classes are health sciences at Clifton, chemistry and math.

Shield: What are your least favorite classes?

Itzel: My least favorite class is P.E. I like doing exercise on my own time but I don’t like doing it in a big class. 

Shield: Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

Itzel: Five years from now, I will have a college degree in Health Science and I will be working in some capacity in the medical field. 

Shield: What have you accomplished in school?

Itzel: I have completed two years of Spanish. Since I speak Spanish at home, I am bilingual. In health science, I am certified in CPR and AED. I have also received my OSHA and First Aid certifications. I went on a UT Health Science field trip recently and got to see UT’s Health Science program, got to practice my suturing skills and learned about which courses to take depending on what field you are interested in. This semester I had an interview and I will be job-shadowing at St. David’s next year.

When I am finished with my school work, I like to paint and practice my knitting skills.

— Ruiz Perez

Shield: What are your plans after graduation?

Itzel: After I graduate from high school, I plan to go to ACC and then transfer to UT San Antonio or UT Austin. I am still undecided about which college is best for me.

Shield: How did you get to be the student of the month at Clifton High School?

Itzel: I think I was chosen because I focus on my classes and pay attention to everything. I am very responsible for completing my work and whatever my teacher is trying to teach me. I want to learn. I love science because it’s interesting and useful: it is about life.

Shield: What is your strength?

Itzel: I have many strengths but the ones that have gotten me to be Clifton’s Student of the Month are: I am focused in class, a hard worker and I always try to do my best.

Shield: What is your weakness?

Itzel: I may be too independent and may not ask for help when I really should and need it. 

Shield: What do you do in your free time?

Itzel: In my free time, I like to talk to my friends. When I am finished with my school work, I like to paint and practice my knitting skills. 

Shield: What kind of job are you looking forward to?

Itzel: At this point in my life, I think I will want to work in the nursing field as a registered nurse. I do not know yet exactly which area because I need to job shadow at St. David’s first.