Lone freshman on varsity, Ethan Plummer, finds success on team, hopes to pursue basketball in the future

Isley Cameron, staff reporter

At 3, Ethan Plummer held a basketball in his hands for the first time. At 14, he became the only freshman on the varsity basketball team. Some of his earliest memories are his parents holding their arms out, forming a hoop for him to throw the ball into.

According to Plummer, his lifelong commitment to the game and support from his family is what pushed him to go the extra mile.

I see a little bit of myself in him. He’s a point guard, so I try to teach him how to run the offense and be a leader even though he’s just a freshman.

— junior captain Finn Corrigan

“My dad was the one who first taught me basketball,” Plummer said. “He has always supported my career. I have memories of him helping me master my jump shot and perfect my form at a young age.”

Despite playing since he was a toddler and later joining the Lamar basketball team in middle school, Plummer still felt like he could do more to ensure he would make an impression during this year’s tryouts. Over the summer, he spent hours a day shooting free throws. He was determined to make varsity so that he could play alongside older, experienced teammates who are just as serious about basketball.

By the time tryouts rolled around, however, Plummer still had his doubts.

“I didn’t expect to make the team,” Plummer said. “When we first started, the freshman would practice separately, so I didn’t think I would have a chance to play in front of the coaches.”

But when finally given the opportunity to show what he could do, Plummer rose to the occasion.

“One practice, freshman scrimmaged JV and won,” Plummer said. “I think that’s when the coaches knew I stood out.”

When Plummer made the varsity roster among a sea of upperclassmen, his new teammates welcomed their newest player with open arms. The team’s captain, junior Finn Corrigan, was the only freshman on varsity two years ago when he first made the team. This year, he has taken Plummer under his wing.

“I see a little bit of myself in him,” Corrigan said, “He’s a point guard, so I try to teach him how to run the offense and be a leader even though he’s just a freshman.”

The team environment reminds Plummer why he grew to love basketball.

My dad was the one who first taught me basketball. He has always supported my career. I have memories of him helping me master my jump shot and perfect my form at a young age.

— freshman Ethan Plummer

“I’ve played with a lot of different teammates,” Plummer said, “The ones that really stand out are my friends I would play with during elementary school recess.”

It was during these pickup games on the blacktop of Highland Park Elementary that Plummer realized his passion for the game.

“I think it’s a really special sport in terms of how high energy games are and how fast they are paced,” Plummer said.

Plummer’s childhood friend, freshman Luke Bell, played alongside him at recess and has watched Plummer become the player he is today.

“I’m really proud of him,” Bell said. “Making varsity as a freshman is amazing, and shows his skills and ability to compete.”

Plummer hopes to play Division I college basketball at the University of Texas. After growing up with a basketball in hand and with four years of varsity ball ahead of him, he knows his dream is within reach.