Wroblewski reunited with Griffith at Mac

Math teacher known for helping all her students succeed

Devin Neal

Math teacher Kelly Wroblewski teaches her first-period geometry class. Wroblewski earned the respect and admiration of principal Nicole Griffith when the two were colleagues at Austin High School.

Grace Vitale, staff reporter

Kelly Wroblewski, a new math teacher, once found a unique opportunity to display the breadth of her compassion while working at Austin High some years ago. A student who had gone to a clinic due to a health issue had found herself struggling to catch up in math a few months after she had returned to school.

I think our students are going to be really well-supported by her being here.

— principal Nicole Griffith on math teacher Kelly Wroblewski

Wroblewski took it upon herself to help the student catch up over spring break. 

The real kicker in this story? She hadn’t had this student in two years. 

“That’s the kind of teacher Wroblewski is,” principal Nicole Griffith said. “She goes so far above and beyond because she sees a kid in need and she’s going to help them.” 

She really, really cares for kids and their experience. She’s just one of those people. She’s pretty special that way.”

Griffith believes that Wroblewski’s adaptability is one of her greatest strengths.

“I think that flexibility skill of hers, the ability to be like ‘It doesn’t matter if you get it now or you get it next week, I want you to get it. I want you to keep learning,’ is really important to her,” Griffith said. “She keeps continuing to work with students to the point that even if it wasn’t her student at that time.”  

Griffith would know, given that Wroblewski helped this particular student while they were both working at Austin High. 

Wroblewski now finds herself working with Griffith again at McCallum as a first-year math teacher. 

In general, Wroblewski would describe herself as someone who doesn’t do well with the word “no.” During her time working with Griffith, Wroblewski established that she wanted the freedom to be able to bounce new ideas off of Griffith and possibly try some of them out. She also established that she always wanted these ideas to be met with an open mind from Griffith, no matter how crazy or unrealistic they were.

I kind of try not to stand out. I like to be in the room, and I like teaching, but it’s not The Wroblewski Show in my room.

— math teacher Kelly Wroblewski

“I think that’s part of what I like about myself is the fact that I’m like ‘Hey, I want to order $15,000 worth of tools so that we can have a maker space at Austin High,’” Wroblewski said. “There was not a ‘No.’ or ‘No, that’s crazy.’ or ‘How are we supposed to do that?’ I think that’s kind of what my favorite part of working with her is—that concept and the idea that ‘Hey, we’ll see if it works. If it works, it works. If it doesn’t, well we’ll figure out that it doesn’t work then, won’t we?’” 

Griffith is happy to be reunited with her old colleague.

“I think she’s a really good fit for McCallum, and I think our students are going to be really well-supported by her being here,” Griffith said.

“That’s the kind of teacher Wroblewski is,” principal Nicole Griffith said. “She goes so far above and beyond because she sees a kid in need and she’s going to help them. 

She goes so far above and beyond because she sees a kid in need and she’s going to help them.

— principal Nicole Griffith on Kelly Wroblewski

When asked what characteristics she possessed that enable her to stand out as a teacher, Wroblewski responded with modesty.

“That’s a hard one for me to answer because I kind of try not to stand out,” Wroblewski said. “I like to be in the room, and I like teaching, but it’s not The Wroblewski Show in my room.” 

Although Wroblewski isn’t one to brag about herself, Griffith has no such reservations. She said she admires Wroblewski for her ability to empathize with her students, her teaching style and her determined efforts to help her students learn.