A trading card salute to the boys basketball seniors

From district co-champs as freshmen to bi-district champs as seniors, Class of 2021 made Mac Hoops history

graphic by Kennedy Weatherby

The Mac Class of ’21 achieved a lot in its four years on the floor. As freshmen, the Class of 2021 tied for the district title under Coach Carlin Shaw. The varsity team made the playoffs when these players were sophomore and won the Marble Falls and Hays tournaments when they were juniors. In their senior year, this year, the Knights were Bi-District Champions and won the program’s first playoff game in 15 years, which was also win No. 100 for head coach Daniel Fuentes.

Kennedy Weatherby, staff reporter

After its loss to the Kingwood Panthers in the second round of state playoffs last Wednesday, the varsity boys basketball team has completed its 2020-21 season. Led by a core group of eight seniors, the Knights had one of their most successful seasons in team history, ending with a final record of 17-7 and a winning percentage of 71 percent, the highest winning percentage for the Knights in more than 15 years. This was also the first time in 15 years for the Knights to be bi-district champs and advance to the second round of playoffs. Now that their time playing here at McCallum has concluded, we want to take a moment to recognize the achievements of each of these hard working players. Graphics by Randy Varela. Interviews and photos by Kennedy Weatherby.

LUKE ALLEN

Senior forward Luke Allen has been playing for various McCallum basketball teams since his freshman year and enjoyed his first season on the varsity team this year. 

LUKE ALLEN
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 5. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: SHAI GILGEOUS-ALEXANDER. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? GOLF. Q: Who inspires you? A: MY SISTER. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: TAYLOR SWIFT. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? A: GAME OF THRONES. Q: Favorite movie? A: REMEMBER THE TITANS. Q: Favorite book? A: HARRY POTTER. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: I PLAY DISC GOLF. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: TIME TRAVEL. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: WINNING DISTRICT FRESHMAN YEAR. Q: Any advice for the younger Mac Knight players? A: HAVE FUN.
More Mac Hoops coverage

ALBERT GARZA

Co-captain of the varsity boys basketball team, Albert Garza has been a part of the Mac Hoops program since his freshman year. Garza is now a two-time All-District honoree, winning honorable mention his junior year and First-Team All-District this season. He averaged 16 points and four rebounds per game this season and led the team in assists and steals with four assists and two steals per game, making him one of the Knights’ most valuable players this season.

ALBERT GARZA
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: 3RD GRADE. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: KEVIN DURANT. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: FOOTBALL. Q: Who inspires you? A: MY PARENTS. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: NBA YOUNGBOY. Q: Favorite TV show? A: ALL AMERICAN. Q: Favorite movie? A: FAST N THE FURIOUS. Q: Favorite book? A: REDEMPTION AT HACKSAW RIDGE. Q: Any hidden talents? A: I’M AMBIDEXTROUS. Q: What superpower would you choose? A: TELEPORTATION. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: DROPPING 30 POINTS IN THE SEASON OPENER. Q: Any advice for the younger Mac Knight players? A: GO TO PRACTICE AND BE THE FIRST ONE THERE. DEDICATION AND HARD WORK WILL GET YOU A LONG WAY. Q: Anyone you’d like to shoutout? A: GOD, MY PARENTS, SIBLINGS, MAC COACHES AND MY FAMILY THAT I WENT TO WAR WITH EVERY NIGHT.
More Mac Hoops coverage

SAM HOLCOMB

A senior forward for the varsity team, Sam Holcomb has been playing for the Knights since his freshman year. A varsity player since his sophomore year, Holcomb has been a positive addition to the team, averaging two points per game this season. 

SAM HOLCOMB
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 10. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: BILL LAIMBEER. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: E SPORTS. Q: Who inspires you? A: STEVE O. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: TAJ MAHAL. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? A: HARVEY BIRDMAN. Q: Favorite movie? A: BRUNO. Q: Favorite book? A: BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: I CAN GO FOUR DAYS WITHOUT EATING, OR DRINKING WATER. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: TELEKINESIS. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: WINNING DISTRICT FRESHMAN YEAR. Q: Anyone you’d like to shoutout? A: LANCE STEPHENSON.
More Mac Hoops coverage

ED JOHNSON

Senior Ed Johnson is a starting forward for the varsity team and has been in the basketball program since his freshman year. Johnson is a two-time All-District honoree. After being named an honorable mention player, his junior year, he made Second Team All-District this season. He was a well-rounded player, averaging seven points, six rebounds, and one block per game. 

ED JOHNSON
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 6. Q:Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: LEBRON JAMES. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: BASEBALL. Q: Who inspires you? A: MY FAMILY. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A; LIL UZI VERT. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? A: WANDAVISION. Q: Favorite movie? A: UNCUT GEMS. Q: Favorite book? A: HARRY POTTER. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: NO. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: TELEPORTATION. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: GOING TO TOURNAMENTS. Q: Any advice for younger Mac Knight players? A: COME TO PRACTICE ON TIME.
More Mac Hoops coverage

GRAYDON OLSEN

Senior Graydon Olsen is a forward on the varsity basketball team and has been playing basketball at McCallum all four years of his high school career. This was Olsen’s first year to be a part of the varsity team, and his constant encouragement of his teammates brought enthusiasm to the court. 

GRAYDON OLSEN
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 4. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: DEMAR DEROZAN. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: GOLF. Q; Who inspires you? A: MY FAMILY, TEAMMATES AND COACHES. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: LIL UZI VERT. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? PSYCH. Favorite movie? STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE. Q: Favorite book? A: HARRY POTTER. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: I CAN SURF. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: TELEPORTATION. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: PRACTICES. Q: Any advice for the younger Mac Knight players? A: WORK HARD AND NEVER LOSE CONFIDENCE. Q: Anyone you’d like to shoutout? A: MY GRANDMA.
More Mac Hoops coverage

HUDSON SPRADLING

A starting guard for the varsity team, senior Hudson Spradling has played for the McCallum basketball team since his freshman year of high school. He was named as an All-District honoree this season, named to the Second Team along with his teammate Ed Johnson. Spradling was the third leading scorer for the Knights, averaging nine points per game, and he often guarded the to scoring guard night in, night out. 

HUDSON SPRADLING
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 5. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: KRISTAPS PORZINGIS. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: GOLF. Q: Who inspires you? A: MY DAD. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: 9LOKKNINE. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? A: I DON’T HAVE ONE. Q: Favorite movie? A: ELF. Q: Favorite book? A: OF MICE AND MEN. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: I CAN DRAW. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: FLYING. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: SCORING 23 AGAINST BURNET. Q: Any advice for the younger Mac Knight players? A: SHOW UP TO PRACTICE. Q: Anyone you’d like to shoutout? A: MY FAMILY.
More Mac Hoops coverage

JOHN WADE

Senior John Wade is a starting guard for the varsity team and has been playing for McCallum alongside his twin brother Rob since his freshman year. This year was J. Wade’s first time to be named as an All-District honoree. He earned honorable mention honors. He played many roles on the varsity team this season, including being a strong wing defender for the Knights. He also averaged five points and three rebounds per game. His threat as an outside shooter opened up the floor for the whole offense.

JOHN WADE
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 5. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: DWYANE WADE. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: CORNHOLE. Q: Who inspires you? A; MY BROTHERS. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: YOUNG THUG. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? A: SNOWFALL. Q: Favorite movie? A: DJANGO UNCHAINED. Q: Favorite book? A: THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: I DON’T THINK I HAVE ANY. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: TIME TRAVEL. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at McCallum? A: MAKING A GAME-WINNING LAYUP AND A GAME-SAVING BLOCK AGAINST HAYS IN MY FIRST GAME EVER AS A KNIGHT. Q: Any advice for the younger Mac Knight players? A: ALWAYS BE A GREAT TEAMMATE. Q: Anyone you’d like to shoutout? A: ALL MY BOYS.
More Mac Hoops coverage

ROB WADE

Senior Rob Wade has been a co-captain of the varsity basketball team for two seasons now and has played at McCallum since his freshman year. Wade is now a three-time All District honoree. He was named First Team All-District his junior and senior year, as well as being named District Offensive Player of the Year this season. He led the team average in points and rebounds, with 18 and eight per game respectively. Wade will further his basketball career at the University of Texas at Dallas in the fall.

ROB WADE
Q: When did you start playing basketball? A: AGE 5. Q: Who’s your favorite NBA player? A: DEREK ROSE IN HIS PRIME. Q: If you had to pick one other sport to be magically great at, what would it be? A: POKER. Q: Who inspires you? A: MY GRANDPA. Q: Who’s your favorite musical artist? A: LIL WAYNE. Q: Favorite TV show you’re watching right now? A: ONE PIECE. Q: Favorite book? A: THE GRAVEYARD BOOK. Q: Any hidden talents that would surprise your teammates? A: I CAN PLAY THE GUITAR PRETTY WELL. Q: If you could pick one superpower, what would you choose? A: SUPER SPEED. Q: What’s your favorite memory from playing at mccallum? A: MARBLE FALLS TOURNAMENT MY SOPHOMORE AND JUNIOR YEAR. Q: Any advice for the younger Mac Knight players? A: PUSH YOURSELF EVERYDAY EVEN IF YOU DON’T FEEL LIKE IT. Q: Anyone you’d like to shoutout? A: NANA SUE.
More Mac Hoops coverage

MAC HOOPS CLASS OF 2021

MAC HOOPS CLASS OF 2021
The Mac class of '21 had a distinguished run in its time on the Knight hardwood. Freshman: District Champs (Coach Carlin Shaw) Sophomore: Varsity playoffs Junior: Marble Falls and Hays Tournament Champions Senior: Bi-District Champs, first playoff win in 15 years and win No. 100 for head coach Daniel Fuentes
More Mac Hoops coverage