Softball pins hope on new additions, team chemistry

Despite loss of key players from a year ago, Sanders believes squad has what it takes to make state playoffs

Bella Russo

Sophomore Daisy Elizondo locks in on an incoming pitch during the Knights preseason scrimmage against Anderson on Feb. 4. Photo by Bella Russo.

Caleb Melville, staff reporter

Spring is just around the corner, and that can only mean one thing: it’s time for softball and baseball seasons to start.

The Lady Knights softball team has held tryouts and is ready to start their 2020 season. The Knights have a much different look from their team last year, with many new additions and younger players.

I would like to incorporate more small ball this year, which is something the girls have been working on throughout the off-season.

— Head coach Liz Sanders

Varsity head coach Elizabeth Sanders is excited for this season.

“The girls have grown very close, and are more of a family,” she said. “They have worked exceptionally hard throughout the off-season, and I am excited to see all of their hard work pay off.”

Sanders said that the new editions are younger players with lots of potential. The team is looking forward to a more disciplined style of play this season.

“This year our play is going to be more consistent,” Sanders said. “I would like to incorporate more small ball this year, which is something the girls have been working on throughout the off-season.”

One of the few seniors left on the team is catcher Ciera Medrano. Medrano will play a large part in leading the team’s success as a unit this year.

We’re pretty [evenly] matched up with LBJ so it’s always a good game.

— Senior catcher Ciera Medrano

Despite the team’s new editions, the Knights will face their fair share of tough opponents this season.

“This year our biggest challenge will be beating Dripping Springs and Lockhart,” Coach Sanders said. “They both have very strong programs and often go far into state playoffs.”

Another game to be looked forward to is LBJ.

“We’re pretty [evenly] matched up with LBJ so it’s always a good game,” Medrano said.

The Knights have had some big losses from last season, missing their starting pitcher (Diamante Diaz) and shortstop/power hitter (Julia Crofut), but both coach and players say they have something even more valuable than those assets this year: chemistry.

Both Coach Sanders and pitcher Medrano said how the team has developed into much more of a family this offseason.

“This year one of our main goals is to go to playoffs,” Coach Sanders said.

“Last year we were one spot away from doing so. I wholeheartedly believe these girls have what it takes to advance this year.”

Bella Russo
Sophomore pitcher Mary Ayala winds up to and steps toward the plate while sophomore third baseman Daisy Elizondo gets in ready position in case the ball is hit her way. Photo by Bella Russo.