Mac finishes third at fall district tournament

Knights cage Cougars but can’t tame Tigers, Lions; team headed to bi-districts on Tuesday

Senior Wyeth Purkiss follows through following a return to his Crockett opponent during his singles match. He won, 6-2, 6-3, his second win against this opposing team. Purkiss and junior Marley Gattis took the loss, 6-1, 6-2, against Lockhart the next day. Photo by Elisha Scott.

Elisha Scott, people editor

The MAC tennis team traveled to Whitaker Sports Complex tennis courts to compete in the fall-season district tennis tournament on Oct. 1 and 2. They started off strong, winning 10-3 against Crockett High School on Tuesday morning but were shut out by Dripping Springs in afternoon play. Due to player no-shows, LBJ, which had advanced to the finals, was forced to forfeit, which left the two semifinalists, Mac and Lockhart, to play for the vacant second-place spot. The teams returned the following day after school. Lockhart, which had lost to LBJ in the semifinals, swept the Knights, 10-0.

At the end of the two-day event, the Knights had earned a third-place finish. The players received their third place medals during eighth period on Thursday to commemorate the achievement before going out to practice and prepare for bi-districts which take place on Tuesday.

“We have a young team and it’s a re-building season,” assistant coach Chris Purkiss said.” I was pleased to see everyone play hard in the district tournament.”

We are pleased to present the tennis team’s efforts at districts as this week’s #TuesdayTop10 photo essay. Photos by Esme Moreno and Elisha Scott.

Senior co-captain Wyeth Purkiss begins his serve to his singles opponent from Dripping Springs where he lost the first set, 6-1, and was down in the second, 3-0, before it was cut short by the Tigers’ 10th win, the number needed to clinch a victory over an opposing team. He played doubles alongside junior Marley Gattis, but they were defeated, 6-0, 6-0. Earlier in the day, the duo defeated Crockett, 6-0, 6-2. Photo by Esme Moreno.

The longest Mac match of districts was played by sophomore Michael Alverson and sophomore Colin Dean. The duo waged a three-set marathon against Crockett. Mac won the first set, 6-2. then lost the second set, 6-4, before prevailing in the tiebreaker, 16-14. Dean would later go on to play a second tiebreaker set on Tuesday alone in his singles match against Crockett. Photo by Elisha Scott.

Sophomore co-captain Jewel New serves the ball to her opponent during her singles match against Crockett which she lost, 6-1, 6-1. She and sophomore Lily Christie gained a 6-1, 7-5 victory in their doubles match earlier that morning. They went on to lose their doubles match, 6-0, 6-1, against Dripping Springs and, 6-3, 7-5, against Lockhart. New also lost her first set during her singles match against the Tigers and was down in the second before it was cut short. Photo by Elisha Scott.

During his singles match against Crockett, junior Beckett Randall serves the ball to his opponent. He went on to win the first set, 6-3, and was up, 3-2, in the second when his match was cut off due to MAC’s 10th win, which clinched the team victory. Earlier that morning, Randall played his doubles match with junior Luke Robb against Crockett which they lost, 6-3, 7-5. They played again that afternoon, losing to Dripping Springs. Randall played his final singles match of the first day against Dripping Springs, losing the first set, 6-1 and trailing 3-1 in the second before the match was cut short because the Tigers had already clinched a team win. On Wednesday, Randall played doubles with Robb against Lockhart where they were defeated, 7-5, 6-1.  He then went on to play his final match of districts, a singles match against Lockhart. He lost the first set, 7-5, and lead in the second, 1-0, before the match was cut short by Lockhart clinching the team win. Photo by Esme Moreno.

Sophomore Colin Dean returns the ball to his opponent during his singles match against Lockhart on Wednesday. He lost the match, 6-0, 6-0. Photo by Elisha Scott.

Senior Ashley Ngadoum, the team’s No. 1-ranked girl, returns the ball during her singles match against Crockett. She won this match, 6-1, 6-4, recovering from a previous loss against the Cougars that morning during her doubles match with junior Lorena Gonin. She and Gonin were defeated, 6-2, 6-2. Later that afternoon, she played Dripping Springs where she lost the first set but didn’t get a chance to play the second because the Tigers had already clinched the team victory before Ngadoum and her opponent were able to begin their second set. On Wednesday, Ngadoum played Lockhart where she and Gonin lost, 6-0, 6-2. Photo by Elisha Scott.

Sophomore Michael Alverson hits a return during his singles match against Dripping Springs. He lost, 6-0, 6-0, against the Tigers’ No. 1 boys singles player. Photo by Esme Moreno.

Freshman Elle Dieterich prepares to receive a serve from her Cougar opponent during her mixed doubles match. She and freshman Nick Boehle lost their matches, 6-2, 6-0, to Crockett, 6-1. 6-1, to Dripping Springs, and 6-0, 6-1. to Lockhart. After long-fought matches against the No. 2 girls of each school, Dietrich lost her singles matches, as well. Photo by Elisha Scott.

During her doubles match against Crockett, freshman Liliana Rodriguez prepares to serve. She and sophomore Evelyn Griffin won the match, 6-2, 6-4, but they lost their match against Dripping Springs, 6-3, 6-0, and were barely defeated in their match against Lockhart. After winning the first set, 6-4, they lost the second, 6-2, and then lost the tiebreaker, 10-1 . Rodriguez won her singles match against her Cougar opponent, 6-3, 6-3. Photo by Esme Moreno.

Sophomore Colin Dean dives to return a ball at the net during his and sophomore Michael Alverson’s match against Dripping Springs on Tuesday. They lost both sets at love. They were defeated again the following day during their match against Lockhart, 6-2, 6-4. Photo by Elisha Scott.

In a show of sportsmanship, freshman Malia Walewski, the team’s girls alternate player, high fives opponents from Dripping Springs after their matches were complete.  The Tigers beat the Knights, 10-0. Since the Knights defeated Crockett to open the tournament, this left them with the opportunity for second or third place depending on the outcome of their matches against Lockhart the next day. Photo by Esme Moreno.

Sophomore Michael Alverson serves during his singles match against Crockett. He lost the first set to the Cougar’s No. 1 at love and was tied in second set at 1 when his match was cut short after the Knights achieved their 10th win and clinched the team victory. Photo by Elisha Scott.

Sophomore Colin Dean prepares to serve the ball during his singles match against Crockett.  Dean’s eventually earned the victory against his opponent in a tiebreaker, his second of that day after his doubles match with sophomore Michael Alverson ended with a tiebreaker as well. He won his first set, 6-3, lost the second, 6-4, and won the tiebreaker, 14-12. Photo by Esme Moreno.