The Wright stuff

Freshman phenom makes varsity, looks forward to making a strong team bond even stronger

Kennedy Weatherby and Evelyn Griffin

Aiden Wright sits with teammates on the bench during the second annual boys alumni basketball game in the Don Caldwell Gymnasium on Nov. 16. The alums, including Aiden’s father Palmer Wright, snuck away with the victory in this year’s game. Photo by Dave Winter.

Evelyn Griffin and Kennedy Weatherby, guest reporters

For as long as he can remember, Aiden Wright has loved basketball. His father taught him when he was 4, and it was love at first swoosh. Recently, he has played for Kealing Middle School, Texas Harwood Prospects, and after being the only freshman to make the varsity basketball team last semester, he now plays for McCallum.

Although his skills are indisputable, some may wonder if Wright is accepted on his team, but he doesn’t seem to be having any trouble fitting in. In fact, he is proud of how much he and his teammates have accomplished over the season.

“We’ve been doing pretty well,” Wright said, ”we’re 20-13 overall and 9-5 in district. I think we work really well together as a team.”

Sadly, the season is over, but the memories he made aren’t going anywhere.

Wright takes it strong to the hole past three Crockett defenders in the Knights’ road victory over the Cougars to start district play on Dec. 20. Photo by Dave Winter.

“I know that in the offseason our bond as a team will become stronger,” Wright said with confidence.

At first glance, Wright may seem very shy and reserved, but people who know him say the opposite.

“He’s very funny, loud sometimes, and he really pushes you through everything,” said Wyatt Cunningham, a member of McCallum’s freshman A basketball team and Wright’s friend since kindergarten.

“He is very determined, he loves working hard and he is very aggressive.”

Grace Nugent
Two generations of the Wright stuff: Palmer and Aiden were opponents at the alumni game on Nov. 16. A freshman on varsity this year, Aiden should get three more shots to get even. Photo by Grace Nugent.

Cunningham, like Wright’s team, sees his dedication. Hopefully, his passion will take him from McCallum High School to where almost every high school basketball player dreams of going: the NBA.

Many of his friends believe he could make it.

They have seen him grow as a player over the years and know he will improve even more in the future.

“He has always had a good shot, but more recently he has started driving to the [basket] more,” Cunningham said.

With hard work and the natural talent that Wright has, he could make it to his dream college, Syracuse University. He could possibly even be given the opportunity to play for his dream NBA team, the Sacramento Kings.

We don’t know if Wright will meet the goals he has set for himself, but we do know that he is a committed player, and we’re glad he is representing McCallum.

Annabel Winter
A FROSH START: In his debut in a McCallum uniform, Aiden Wright suited up with the freshman team and scored 16 points in a road victory at Georgetown on Nov. 9. After battling to a one point halftime lead at 31-30, the frosh Knights pulled away in the second half to win by 12, 62-50. Photo by Annabel Winter.