Boys basketball season ends with loss to Wagner

Norman Boyd scores 25 in final game as a Knight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Norman Boyd faces a defender during his final game as a Knight. The Knight's season ended on Tuesday after they lost in the opening round of the playoffs to Wagner.

Lindsey Plotkin

Lindsey Plotkin

Lindsey Plotkin

Lindsey Plotkin, guest reporter

image_pdfimage_print

After having their best season in the last four years, the Knights fell to the San Antonio Wagner Thunderbirds in the first round of the UIL State Basketball playoffs. The Knights went into the game with a record of 20-11 and a 9-5 record in district play, which was good enough to put the team in fourth place, just one game behind Dripping Springs (10-4).

The game was the second one of a double header. The first match of the night was between the Westlake Lady Chaparrals and the Judson Lady Rockets, which ended with Judson hitting a game winning buzzer beater. As the first game ended, the gym prepared for the second match of the night between Wagner and McCallum.

Wagner started strong, scoring an easy layup early off of a steal and then hitting a free throw to take an early 3-0 lead. However, the Knights would not be deterred with senior Norman Boyd hitting a three pointer to tie the game at 3. The Knights worked hard to keep the score close until Wagner’s lead grew to 13 points at end the first quarter with a score of 27-14.

“We talked a lot about not getting behind in the first quarter, and that’s exactly what happened,” head coach Daniel Fuentes said. “We had 10 turnovers in the first quarter and gave up I think 10 fast-break points. We settled down in the second quarter, but they are a good squad and they’ve got a lot of speed.”

Junior Darius Lewis goes up for a layup during the Knights’ 77-60 loss to Wagner. Photo by Annabel Winter.

McCallum opened up the second quarter by outscroing Wagner 8-3, including three points from sophomore Rob Wade, who was fouled shooting a three-pointer and made all of his free throws. Despite the strong start to the second quarter, the Knights went into halftime trailing 42-27.

They fought to the end, with Norman Boyd leading the way with 25 points, but ultimately fell 77-60.  

Fuentes spoke highly of Boyd after the last game of his high school career.

“Norman’s done a great job these last three seasons for us. This year he’s had a season that we’ll never forget, averaging more than 20 points per game. He’s carried us in a lot of games and today he carried us again. He’s doing what’s expected. I wish we could have helped him a little bit tonight.”

While it may have been his last game in a McCallum uniform, Boyd plans to continue his basketball career into college.

“I have become a better player playing with different types of people,” Boyd said. [I have learned] to play hard every night.”

Boyd had a spectacular senior season for the Knights, averaging 20 points per game and he will leave McCallum as a talent that will be hard to replace.