A Battle of the Bands multimedia party

The Shield Online is proud to present our exclusive online image and video gallery of the 2018 edition of Mac's annual rock'n'roll throwdown

image_pdfimage_print

The Battle of the Bands is McCallum’s annual fundraiser for the guitar program. Last year, they used the money they raised to go to Vanguard University in California. This year, they plan on going to Nashville to record at RCA Studio. Deva and the Austin Cobb Trio, the winners of the popular and paid vote respectively, will get to play at Stubb’s in the spring.

“What I like about it is that it’s open to any student at McCallum and any style, whether it be folk, hip-hop, metal, punk,” said guitar teacher and Battle of the Bands organizer Mr. Clark. “It’s a chance to showcase the diversity of the students musical interests.”

Exclusive video clips from Battle of the Bands

MOCK TAKES THE MIC: Senior Jeremy Mock performs an untitled original song, one that he had written only two weeks prior to the Battle of the Bands. Mock’s other two songs, “Just Another Day” and “Afternoon Eyes”, were originals as well. “It usually takes me about two months to write a song, but that one only took me two days,” Mock said. “[In all], making weird sarcastic comments was my favorite part of performing.” You can find his music online at his SoundCloud link. Video by Ellie Sullivan.

DEVA STATUS: With infectious energy and catchy riffs, Deva (Janssen Transier, Tomas Marrero, and Asher Lowenstern as well as guitarist Memphis Lamont) perform an original song. “I’m really proud of the guys, they killed it,” Marrero said. “[This has] always been something I love and I hope to continue to do.” Video by Ellie Sullivan.

VO-STOKED: Despite breaking a key off of his keyboard mid performance, freshman DJ Vostok captivates the crowd with his unique electronic set and intense, space inspired look during Battle of the Bands.  “My favorite part of performing is the rush you get from being up on stage,” Vostok said. “I don’t know what it is or what causes it but there’s something about it that gives you this huge endorphin dump and it’s the best feeling ever.” Video by Ellie Sullivan.

THE MONSTER MOSH: During the final song in Vostok’s performance, students ran to the front of the auditorium, triggering an impromptu mosh pit. “Me and my friends were sort of moshing in our seats so we decided we might as well get up,” junior Abby Greene said. “We weren’t expecting anyone else to join, but they did and it was fun.” Video by Ellie Sullivan.

CRUSOE CONTROL: Crusoe played a mixture of originals and covers, closing with their version of Van Halen’s “Hot for Teacher.” After their performance, the band was approached by the sound technician, Nate Zivan, a former McCallum guitar major, who was interested in recording them. “That makes me feel really good because we’ve only had a few rehearsals,” lead guitarist junior Austin Rummel said. “I think we played really well. Everything felt tight, and there was some nice groove that you only get within friends.” Video by Ellie Sullivan.