The dangers of anger

You can learn to control your emotions rather than letting them control you

Grayson Cruise, staff reporter

Anger.

It’s created by people’s minds and bodies when they’re in danger, or when something was not needed but done anyway unfairly. Though throughout a person’s life they may need some agitation in order to be successful, they do not need too much, as it’s definitely toxic, and causes nothing but trouble.

For example, you’re more likely to experience a stroke(s), depression, heart attack, low self-esteem, a weakened immune system, when you are angry.  Though many people experience these ailments throughout their lives, it can be much more commonplace throughout high school.

With the mental-health presentation, a person(s) making threats on the school, and with finals and STAAR exams coming up, I feel that students should be aware of how being angry can negatively affect the lives of students.

People are more likely to experience strain because of feeling underappreciated, or threatened, or just intimidated by all of the school/homework they have to do. It can be very demanding in this rapid transition to adulthood.

When people are angry, they are known for:

• Anger Repression(Keeping unhealthy aggravated feelings to yourself and hiding it).
  • Having frequent “explosions” or strong, extended sessions of anger.
  • Becoming violent easier and at a higher rate than those who don’t have anger issues throughout their lives.
  • Having episodes of “Red-Vision”, meaning that people had gotten so angry that they saw red when almost primal anger took control of them.
  • Making rash everyday decisions that they don’t think about beforehand.

Fortunately, adults and students alike can treat their anger issues by talking with trusted friends and family, but there is also much you can do to help not just treat it but to also improve the lives of everyone around you. Some people need more encouragement than others, but in the long run, it will help them in many situations in their lives, and may even lower the risk of developing lifelong mental health issues that can affect them, such as anxiety, depression, I.E.D. (Intermittent Explosive Disorder), ADHD, and others. Though it is perfectly normal to have periods like this that aren’t continuous; people get better as long as they seek help or care from a mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist. There are things you can do in order to calm down, though sometimes it may not be easy.

Things You Can Do:

• Speak to someone you trust. Try writing. Share your thoughts and opinions, instead of keeping them pent up inside. This benefits many people, including you.
  • Squeeze a ball, or go do something to get out your anger in a healthy manner, like jogging or a sport. Sometimes it is better to walk away before you have consequences to deal with.
  • Use positive self-talk such as, “I can handle this. Everything will be OK.”
  • Read something you enjoy. This can help the anger recede, and you will be able to think clearly.
  • Take a deep breath, count up to or down from 10, and/or take a few minutes to imagine going to a favorite place or doing a calming activity; this helps people put themselves in a calm state of mind.
  • Listen to the person you may be angry at. If you’re upset about something or with someone else, talking to people and listening to their perspective—even if it is the person you’re angry with—may help you understand exactly what caused the problem, so you can fix it or figure out what you can do in the future to prevent the situation.

I advocate every person who reads this to just take a step back, relax, count up-to or down from 10, and to ask themselves, “What am I mad about? How can this be helped?” Anger could be a major motivating factor in people’s lives, whereas to others, it is unneeded and could be removed. It can be hard to ask these questions in-the-moment, so I urge you to sit down with a close friend or counselor, and to take a good, long evaluation of your life, and to figure out what needs to be done to make life less of an angry mess to those who need it. Simply think about it, and use the tools and techniques of this article and others, in order to help keep the calm as you determine what the next best course of action may be.

Resources for those who need them:

https://www.apa.org/topics/anger/index.aspx

http://blog.brookespublishing.com/8-anger-management-tips-for-your-students/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/162035.php

https://mccallumhs.com/weekly-email/mental-health-crisis-information-from-aisd/