One Step Closer

McCallum run over the Raiders to set up virtual playoff game against Crockett for Homecoming

DAWGHOUSE: Varsity football players charge out of the McCallum banner after halftime, leading the Reagan Raiders 28-3. Photo by Gregory James

Gregory James, photo editor

The Knights were back to form in their crucial win over the Reagan Raiders, 49-11.

The Knights were able to strike quickly with a 76-yard touchdown run by Deron Gage to make the score 7-0. The Knights then forced Reagan to a three and out on the Raders’ first possession of the game. The Knights then drove close to the end zone on their next possession but fumbled the ball short of the goal line, giving the ball back to the Raiders.

The Raiders, backed into their own end zone nearly gave up a safety and eventually punted to the Knights.  Darius Lewis returned the punt for the Knights’ second score of the game. Gabe Williams recovered a Reagan fumble to start the second quarter, setting up a Deron Gage touchdown run. The Raiders responded with a field goal to make the score 21-3 close to the end of the first half. The Knights, however, were not done with their first-half scoring.

Cole Davis ran 42 yards tiptoeing down the Knight sideline to make the score 28-3 at half. Coming out of halftime the McCallum offense picked up where it left off, scoring three more touchdowns, all thanks to Jalen Sutton. The Reagan offense was able finally to find the end zone in the fourth quarter and added a two-point conversion to make the final score, 49-11. The victory provided a much-needed district win for the Knights, who face Crockett in the homecoming game for the school. The Cougars hold a one-game edge on the Knights in the standings, making the game a must-win if they want to make the playoffs this season.

AN UPLIFTING WIN: Alvino Carbajal lifts Deron Gage in the air after Gage scored a 78-yard touchdown run to get the Knights the 7-0 lead early in their 49-11 win over Reagan. Photo by Anna McClellan.

The team can use the momentum they got from this game next week. The game will be important for the football team and for fans, as it is homecoming week.

“We have got to build off this momentum,” offensive coordinator Jacob Alvarez said. “We have to have another good week of practice, having everybody there.”

We have got to build off this momentum”

— offensive coordinator Jacob Alvarez

As for the rest of the district, Seguin (6-2, 5-0) has pulled ahead of the other contenders in district, after they edged Dripping Springs at home (6-2, 4-1) to become the sole undefeated team left in district. LBJ (6-2, 4-1) had a bye week this week, and Crockett (4-4, 3-2) shut out Travis (0-8, 0-5), 57-0, at House Park.

The Knights remain in crunch time for the rest of the regular season.

“We played a great game on both sides of the ball,” senior running back Deron Gage said. “It all started with a great week in practice. Our practice habits are getting better, and it’s showing on the field. We’ll be practicing at House Park for the week so we can prepare for the game and come out with a win.”

Video by Gregory James and Steven Tibbetts.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “One Step Closer”

1. Jacob Kuhlenbeck on November 5th, 2018 2:48 pm

I think the article and photos showed the excitement of being playoff bound very well.

2. Madelynn Niles on November 5th, 2018 8:03 pm

All of these photos are BEAUTIFUL — I love the coloring and composition! They both captured moments of this crucial game really well.

3. Anonymous on November 6th, 2018 10:25 am

Great photos and story. I’m happy that the McCallum Knights beat the Reagen by 30 something points. Overall great video and photos

4. Max Pipkin on November 6th, 2018 10:40 am

I think that this article shows great excitement of beating Reagan by the large score of 49-11

5. Max Pipkin on November 6th, 2018 10:41 am

I think that this article was great in showing and telling you all the facts and stats from the game

6. Frances Arellano on November 6th, 2018 9:51 pm

I love the article and the photos. It showed the spirit of the players trying to win.

7. Lily Dashner on November 6th, 2018 9:59 pm

I really like how the McCallum football team works hard and is able to meat there goal. The football team should be proud of how hard they have worked this season, and I would like to give a shout out to coach Gamerdinger, he should be proud of how hard he has worked to coach this team. Deron Gage should be proud of himself, from what i understand he has been the star of this season when it comes to mac football. And the whole team should be proud of themselves they worked really hard nice job Knights!

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

Photoj students capture essence of McCallum

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

Harkening back to Halloween

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

A Pink Week pep rally postscript

• One Step Closer

Entertainment

Band debuts industrial-strength halftime show

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

Knights fall to Tigers in offensive showdown

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

In 5-set thriller, Mac earns respect but not a win

• One Step Closer

Entertainment

Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

The free art of ATX

• One Step Closer

News

VSA honors Mac junior

• One Step Closer

Photo Galleries

The Glenn Glitch

One Step Closer