Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

You've seen the intergalactic set, the cosmic costumes and the stellar performances. Now we take you to the other side of the celestial curtain.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

BEHIND THE SCENES: While the actors rehearse their dances for the fall musical, Starmites, lighting head Zoe Griffith and stage manager Catie Mendivil make sure everything is running smoothly before they start running the show.  This rehearsal was a four-hour brush up rehearsal, to let actors and technicians get back into the swing of things before their performance the next day. Griffith says that the process has been a lot of hard work, but “although rehearsals were long and we’re all tired, we all feel pride in how our show turned out.” Starmites runs for one more weekend: Thursday through Saturday at 7 p.m., and Sunday at 3 p.m.  Photo by Bela Tapperson.

BEHIND THE SCENES: While the actors rehearse their dances for the fall musical, Starmites, lighting head Zoe Griffith and stage manager Catie Mendivil make sure everything is running smoothly before they start running the show. This rehearsal was a four-hour brush up rehearsal, to let actors and technicians get back into the swing of things before their performance the next day. Griffith says that the process has been a lot of hard work, but “although rehearsals were long and we’re all tired, we all feel pride in how our show turned out.” Starmites runs for one more weekend: Thursday through Saturday at 7 p.m., and Sunday at 3 p.m. Photo by Bela Tapperson.

Bela Tapperson

Bela Tapperson

Bela Tapperson

Evelyn Griffin and Isabela Tapperson, Mac photojournalism

image_pdfimage_print

In covering the first six performances plus the final dress rehearsal of Starmites: The Musical, we feel we have documented the intergalactic set, the cosmic costumes and the stellar performances of the cast fairly well. But what about the backstage life of our out-of-this-world cast? Thanks to photojournalism students Evelyn Griffin and Bela Tapperson, we are proud to bring you this exclusive backstage pass to Starmites: The Musical. If you haven’t seen it, you still have two opportunities, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look”

1. Dashel Beckett on October 4th, 2018 10:17 am

This is Great! I love seeing what we were doing from a new light, especially getting a glimpse inside the control booth, where I rarely get to go.

2. luca on October 5th, 2018 2:00 pm

I love how this shows pictures of all the students being involved and supporting each other. The captions and photos are all great and i loved the show.

3. Henry Sandlin on October 5th, 2018 2:37 pm

I really like the spot on segment because they work as hard and as long as the actors, and they’re really proud of what they have a accomplished.

4. Ivy Golyzniak on October 5th, 2018 3:44 pm

Such a cool idea to show what it takes to work behind the scenes of Mac’s musicals and productions!

5. Arlo Sever on October 5th, 2018 4:04 pm

This is a very good story with amazing writing and amazing photos taken of an amazing show with great lighting and sound.

6. Madelynn Niles on October 5th, 2018 4:16 pm

I love all of the photos in this! Along with the reporting, they give a really cool inside scoop of the show, which is always something rare and interesting to see being covered.

7. Olivia Capochiano on October 9th, 2018 9:10 am

This is a great story about the work done for MAC shows. I like that it highlights the behind the scenes story, with all the students working together. It’s nice to see well done pictures and captions about an interesting topic.

8. Viv Osterweil on October 9th, 2018 9:19 am

I love the fact that Tech is getting recognition, and that readers can get a sneak peek at the back stage preparations/ workings of a show. The photos show a visual representation of the hard work put into productions.

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Artistically speaking: Daniela Bodoh

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

A Battle of the Bands multimedia party

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Artistically Speaking: Sophie Lewis

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Pro violinist to play with orchestra

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

A Midsummer in mid-autumn

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Guest director Shakes(peares) it up

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Been there, done stacked

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Band debuts industrial-strength halftime show

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

MacTheatre shoots for the stars

• Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look

Entertainment

Point break

Starmites: A Behind the Scenes Look