Tough night in the trenches

Varsity football loses rivalry game to LBJ in game shortened due to lightning strike

Steven Tibbetts

With an little help from offensive lineman Alvino Carbajal, Deron Gage wedged his way into the end zone to make the score 28-7 in the second quarter.  Photo by Bella Russo.

With an little help from offensive lineman Alvino Carbajal, Deron Gage wedged his way into the end zone to make the score 28-7 in the second quarter. Photo by Bella Russo.

Bella Russo

Bella Russo

Gregory James, photo editor

The clouds rolled in above Nelson Field, as a bolt of lightning streaked across the sky in the distance. The roll of thunder can not be distinguished from the sound of the thunderous bass drum being played. McCallum and LBJ students and families watch the halftime entertainment by LBJ and McCallum’s respective bands and dance squads. The rain begins to fall as LBJ finishes their marching performance and will only pick up going into the third quarter and subsequent end of the game.

The Knights, already down 34-7 going into the third quarter, receive the ball from the Jaguars. The Knights and Jaguars go back and forth for the rest of the third quarter trying to score as the steady downpour continued, the Knights got close several times only to turn the ball over or have to punt.

Caleb Melville
Ryan Bonesteel, Gabe Williams and the Knight defense had trouble stopping the LBJ offense led by quarterback Brian Batts. Photo by Caleb Melville.

By the start of the 4th quarter, most of both bands had left the game and what was left of the student section at McCallum was becoming less and less optimistic about the game. The game was finally called at 5:42 for lightning in the area, then called for good as the storm descended full force on Nelson. The Jaguars had scored another touchdown in that time and claimed bragging rights. The Knights were bottled up by the Jaguars offensively, even though standout star from last year, Deron Gage, was returning from injury in the game.  The Knights ran for 154 yards, the second lowest amount of rushing yards the Knights have had on the season.

Dave Winter
LBJ exploited his height and leaping ability all night long throwing up jump balls that LBJ caught for big plays like this two-point conversion reception by David Jones, near the end of the first quarter that made the score, 20-0. Photo by Dave Winter

On the defensive end of the ball, the Knights were unable to contain LBJ’s prolific passing offense. The Jags threw for 322 yards on the night and were scored three of their six touchdowns through the air. In the first quarter the Knights fell to a 28-0 deficit and were never able to recover from that. The one silver lining in the game was a 14-yard touchdown run by Deron Gage to save the Knights from a shutout. Gage was literally carried into the end zone by offensive lineman Alvino Carbajal as Gage was falling into the endzone off a tackle.

The Knights look to get back in the win column when they face Dripping Springs in two weeks at House Park at 7:30 p.m.

Dave Winter
The rain did not dampen the enthusiasm of Mac cheerleaders Mariko Deloach and Molly Gardner, but the lightning caused coaches to agree to end the game with just over five minutes left in the fourth quarter. Photo by Dave Winter.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Tough night in the trenches”

1. Winston on October 4th, 2018 9:27 am

We’ll get em next time knights!

2. Lewis Baker on October 5th, 2018 2:26 pm

i think that we could of done better in that game if we had just stayed with our normal offense instead we tried to many tricks, good article though.

I thought the most recent issue was very good and I liked most of the articles I just wished there had been better photo distribution.

3. Wyatt Cunningham on October 5th, 2018 2:37 pm

I really like the video in this article, I thought it was funny how Alvino Carbahaul carried Deron Gage in the endzone.

• Tough night in the trenches

Sports

The Lanier Reboot

• Tough night in the trenches

Photo Galleries

Knights fall to Tigers in offensive showdown

• Tough night in the trenches

Photo Galleries

In 5-set thriller, Mac earns respect but not a win

• Tough night in the trenches

Sports

Third Time is the Toughest

• Tough night in the trenches

Photo Galleries

The Glenn Glitch

• Tough night in the trenches

Sports

Boswell does it all

• Tough night in the trenches

Photo Galleries

Second Time’s the Charm

• Tough night in the trenches

Blogs

Despite stadium deal, don’t consider Austin FC a done deal just yet

• Tough night in the trenches

Sports

Lobos Lassoed

• Tough night in the trenches

Photo Galleries

Not merely freshmen

Tough night in the trenches