Knights keep on rolling

The McCallum Knights beat the Lehman Lobos 55-17 last Friday night at the Bob Shelton stadium in Kyle.

The Knights (currently 2-0) started off the scoring with a 4-yard touchdown run by Max Perez. The Knights scored again after Alex Julian gained 30 yards to set up Max Perez to run yet another touchdown.

Max Perez had a career night. The senior quarterback ran in three touchdowns and completed four touchdown passes: a 31-yard pass to Deron Gage, and two 15-yard passes to Mason Bryant. On the final pass to  Bryant, he broke three tackles to make it all the way to the house. The Knights finished off their scoring with a 15-yard touchdown run by Jalen Sutton.

The Knights won the game, improving their record to 2-0. Even tough they won, the coaches had some strong words for them after the game.

“You guys were playing sloppy football,” Coach Taylor said after the game. “If you want to beat Seguin, we’re going to have to clean up the little things. Forget this game and let’s think about next week.”

The Knights knew going in that they had beat the Lobos by a significant amount last year. But even though this was an easy win for the Knights, they didn’t act like it.

“If you think that this is going to be an easy game, then get off this field,” senior linebacker Judah Copeland said. “Nothing is easy, everything is earned on this field.”

The Lobos, however, are the bottom of their division, and The Knights have beaten the Lobos at least three years in a row in what has become an annual game. Despite their victory, they are still looking to improve.

“If we play like this in future games, fumbling the ball and being careless with our possessions, we will not be as lucky as we were today,” Coach Taylor said in the post-game huddle. “We have to keep working in practice.”

ITS KNIGHTTIME: Alexander Julian runs for 32 yards to set up a Max Perez touchdown in the first quarter
ITS KNIGHTTIME: Alexander Julian runs for 32 yards to set up a Max Perez touchdown in the first quarter. photo by Gregory James