The not so magnificent iPhone 7

iphone-7
Infographic by Anna Compton

The iPhone 7 is supposedly the best one yet. The new features model the “brightest, most colorful iPhone display yet,” splash and water resistance, and a new HD-quality camera lens. While these features may seem enticing, I don’t see what the big hype is. I currently have an iPhone 6s and I am fine with it. I think the features on the iPhone 6s, are great. Though it wouldn’t be bad to have the iPhone 7, I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy one.

The only iPhones that I have ever had were the 5 and currently the 6s. The step up between these two models were pretty drastic. The iPhone 5 was very slow and did not have the fingerprint. The step up from 6s to 7 however is far less drastic. The iPhone 7 just improves the important features already included in the iPhone 6s. The 7 is faster, has better battery life, and is water resistant, which is very useful in my hands. I’ve dropped my 6s in the bathtub before… and it actually survived! But for it to be water resistant would be nice just in case I accidentally do that again.

The iPhone 7 Plus has two cameras, one with a wide-angle lens and one with a telephone lens. The dual-camera system enables users to create super shallow depth-of field images. Photo by Martin Hajek, iPhoneDigital (taken from Flickr Creative Commons).

The feature that everyone seems to be talking about is the iPhone 7 Plus has two cameras that shoot as one. With a combination of a wide-angle lens and telephone lens you can now zoom from farther away and lets you shoot very up close. Another camera feature is the depth-of-field effect. The dual-camera system is put to use for this kind of depth-of field image. The system makes the subject in focus and blurs the background. These features are only included in the iPhone 7 PLUS, not the regular 7, though the iPhone 7 has made advancements in their camera. I do use my phone a lot for photography so these features do seem like they would come in handy. The new speakers on the phone are also a nice feature. They’re two times louder than the speaker is in the iPhone 6s. Whether I am on a run, or just jamming with friends the features of the new speakers on the iPhone 7 would be nice to have.

In conjunction with the release of the iPhone 7, the new wireless headphones called “Airpods.” In addition to being wireless, the airpods recognize when you take them out of your ears and pause automatically. Not having to untangle all the wires to listen to your music would be nice, but you look a bit odd when you use them. After looking at the price I can’t imagine tag why anyone would want to buy them. For only $15, you could buy normal headphones, but for $159 you could buy wireless headphones, which perform about the same.

The Airpods who have to be charged after you use them, which can go up to 24 hours in use. They come in a little case, which supposedly charges them while you’re not using them. If you’re ever wondering what battery percentage you’re at you can just tap into Siri, and she’ll tell you, which is handy. I’ve never really used Siri on any of my devices, but out of all the Apple products I think I would most likely use Siri with these Airpods.

The looks of the iPhone have also changed. Kind of like the old model there is a black and a “jet” black. I think it’s kind of pointless to have two different shades of black, but a lot of people did not like the black iPhone 6s. There are also two different sizes for the iPhone 7, 4.7 inch, and iPhone 7 Plus, 5.5-inch. My hands are way too small to have the 5.5-inch version. The home button is also different. It is more pressure sensitive so that it will not be as likely to break. The Touch ID is supposedly way faster and more secure.

Overall, the new advancements of the new iPhone 7 are nice, just not that big of a change from the iPhone 6s. These changes are improvements, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy one. I am just fine with my iPhone 6s. Considering the new changes to the headphones or “Airpods” I do not think I could afford one anyway, which is fine because frankly I don’t want them.