East View edges MAC bowlers, 16-13

The team enjoyed a barrage of strikes at the end of their first practice game at Dart Bowl on Jan. 27. Photo by Sydney Amell.
The team enjoyed a barrage of strikes at the end of its first practice game at Dart Bowl on Jan. 27. Photo by Sydney Amell.

The bowling team narrowly lost to East View 16-13 on Friday night at Mel’s Lone Star Lanes in Georgetown. The lost all but ended McCallum’s hopes at a fourth-place finish and a spot in the regional bowling tournament. The team can qualify now only if it earns all of the possible points in its final match against the Co-Op Team next Friday while East View earns six points or fewer in its final match against Vista Ridge.

While that outcome is unlikely, junior Oliver Cline stands a much better chance to qualify for regionals as an individual competitor. The top eight individual bowlers by average qualify, and with one week remaining in the season, Cline ranks ninth by average. Cline and his teammates also might still qualify for the all-district teams, selected by the coaches in the league.

Even if they don’t qualify for regionals or postseason recognition, Coach Randy Cannon said he hopes the team finishes strong next week to close the season. With no seniors, the team looks to return its entire roster to lead a promising season next year. Cannon added that there is much opportunity for the team to add new members and be even more competitive.