College search shaped by multiple factors

Finances, parental support, campus location, other option make postsecondary decisions complicated
Daniel Fuentes
El Escudo seniors Ava Deviney, Ana Mejia, Sadie Roselle, Azul Cepero Cortes and Maggie Coulbourn wear shirts displaying their future college destinations.

Though college isn’t for everyone, it does open many doors. Everyone’s personal and financial situation is different, so it’s important to do what is best for you whether that is working, joining the military or trade school, or attending university.

In this podcast, El Escudo writers Ava Deviney, Maverick Palacios, and Azul Cepero Cortes discuss their experiences with the college application process as multi-generation, second-generation, and first-generation future college students. 

Junior Maverick is a second-generation college applicant. About to enter the college application process, Maverick feels both pressure and support from his parents as he begins to make big decisions such as where to apply.

Senior Ava comes from a family who has attended college for multiple generations. As her family has previous application knowledge and experience, Ava received support from her parents as well as an outside-of-school counselor they were fortunate enough to afford. 

Azul is a senior and first-generation college applicant. Azul did not start with much knowledge of the application process, as she had no family members to lend their advice based on experience. However, she found support in several other places, including McCallum’s college counselor, Ms.Nix, and her friends who are going through the same process. 

There are a lot of factors that can influence choosing a college. For example, Azul only applied to in-state schools so she could stay close to her family and friends after recently immigrating to the U.S. Cost can also be a large factor. Maverick wants to attend a school abroad as they are much cheaper than schools in America. Though concerned about the cost’s effect on her family, Azul has confidence that she will be able to pay a large amount through scholarships and loans. 

Though college isn’t for everyone, it does open many doors. Everyone’s personal and financial situation is different, so it’s important to do what is best for you whether that is working, joining the military or trade school, or attending university. However, if you choose the university path, there will always be people to support you no matter how many generations of college students came before you.

Intro music: “Gypsy Jazz Guitar (Relaxing Acoustic Nylon Guitar)” by William_King. Accessed on Pixabay.com. Used with permission under the Pixabay Content License.