Three JV1 Knights throw no-hitter against Rebels

McCallum thumps Travis 17-0 in run-rule shortened game, the beat them by same score to sweep series
Fernando Kramer
NO HITTER: With four strikeouts through two innings, junior Garrison Camp pitched half of the Knights’ four-inning no-hitter on Thursday at McCallum. Throwing 28 strikes out of his 52 pitches and striking out four, Camp earned the win before yielding the mound to two freshman relievers. Camp kept his composure throughout the game. “Coach Collins told us to just play sound defense,” Camp said.

McCallum JV1 routed Travis on Thursday, 17-0, in a run rule-shortened game as three Knight pitchers combined to throw a four-inning no-hitter.

Junior pitcher Garrison Camp started for the Knights, pitching two hitless shutout innings to earn the win. After inducing a ground out and walking two batters, Camp ended his first inning with a called third strike for out No. 2 and inducing a second ground ball out for out No. 3.

I was looking to swing first pitch and take advantage of every ball in the zone that I could get.

— first baseman Gus Hernandez, who doubled, tripled and drove in four runs

Going into the game Camp felt confident because they had beaten Travis earlier in the season.

“Having played Travis before we felt confident that we could just go in and win,” Camp said. “Coach Collins told us going into the game to just play sound defense.”  

Camp was even strong in his second inning of work. He struck out the side with a walk between the second and third strikeout. In his two innings of work, Camp threw a total of 52, 28 of them for strikes. He struck out four and walked three but gave up no hits and no runs.

Freshman pitchers Jake Gramling and Sam Humphreys followed Camp, each pitching one hitless shutout inning. Both recorded a pair of strikeouts and walked a single batter to complete the no-hitter. 

HAMMERING HUDSON: As freshman Hudson Hensley stepped into the batter’s box, he was looking for one pitch: the fastball. “All I wanted was a fastball down the middle, so I could tank it,” Hensley said. With a full count and desperate for a hit, Hensley found his fastball and hammered it to center field for a double. Caption by Seamus Dillon. Photo by Fernando Kramer.

On offense, the Knights started off the game strong, scoring six runs in the home half of the first. Alec Inocente led off the game for the Knights with a single, then stole second and third. After Robert Grona and Camp both drew walks to load the bases, first baseman Gus Hernandez singled to left to drive in the game’s first two runs.

The Knights continued to pour on the offense, scoring eight runs in the second and three more in the third. For the game, the Knights scored 17 runs, and almost every player scored. Hernandez stood out going 2-for-3 at the plate and scoring two runs while also driving in two. He said his strategy going into the game was to swing at the first pitch, and any other ball in the zone. 

Having played Travis before we felt confident that we could just go in and win. Coach Collins told us going into the game to just play sound defense.

— junior pitcher Garrison Camp

“I was looking to swing first pitch and take advantage of every ball in the zone that I could get,” Hernandez said.

While the Knights scored 17 runs, they only had eight hits. That’s because they drew 13 walks and Jeremy Valle-Soliz was hit by a pitch. 

The JV1 Knights blew out the Rebels again on Saturday by an identical 17-0 score to sweep the series. On Saturday, the Rebels got one hit to the Knights’ 10. Hernandez, Valle-Soliz, Fergus Castelberry and Hudson Hensley all pitched an inning. Valle-Soliz and Hensley each struck out the side in the inning they pitched.

Camp went 2-for-2 with a triple and three runs batted in, and Hernandez went 2-for-3 with a double, a triple, and four runs batted in.  

Upcoming games: Akins 7:30 p.m. tonight at Burger Stadium, and Liberty Hill, 1:30 p.m. Saturday, at McCallum.

— with reporting by Seamus Dillon

SAFE AT HOME: In the bottom of the first, freshman Fergus Castleberry slides into home for the third run of the game for the Knights. Castleberry was brought on the field as a courtesy runner for pitcher Garrison Camp. On base, he looked for opportunities to move into scoring position. “Going into the game, I knew that Travis wasn’t the most competitive team,” Castleberry said. “I was just watching for any mistakes that I could take advantage of.” Castleberry walked from first to third but rushed to home plate after a fielder’s choice ground ball from freshman left fielder Hudson Hensley. Caption by Seamus Dillon and Fernando Kramer. Photo by Kramer.