Roster additions bring renewed hope

Infusion of new wrestlers, including younger football players, heightens team’s energy, aspirations for state
Ez Zachery
Sophomore London Taylor wrestles at the Anderson duel meet on Nov. 8.

With a solid roster of returning team members, experienced coaches and an addition of many new teammates, the wrestling team finds itself in a strong position for district competition. With 10 meets behind them, the team is building the experience they need for more difficult competitions after winter break.

This year we have had several of the younger football players join us after the football season, and it has really helped, or team grow

— Coach Richard Salazar

After serving as the head wrestling coach for the last three years, Richard Salazar feels the team is set up for a promising season.

¨I’m happy with our season thus far,¨ he said. ¨We are pretty much halfway through the season and continue to make progress with every practice and match. Like most athletic/competitive endeavors, our goal is to win every match and bring a district championship back to McCallum and to advance and place at the state wrestling tournament on Feb. 16 and 17.¨

An introduction of new wrestlers to the team may be just the thing the team needs to achieve this goal.

¨This year we have had several of the younger football players join us after the football season, and it has really helped or team grow,¨ he said. ¨They have brought with them a greater sense of competitiveness and a greater intensity to our team.¨

Sophomore Noble Pierce, who competed on the team last year, also has seen a noticeable difference in the team’s environment, on and off the mats. 

¨This season is so active, and I’m happy to see people joining the team,¨ they said. ¨People are winning and losing, but everyone is still fighting hard and that’s what should matter.¨

People are winning and losing but everyone is still fighting hard and that’s what should matter.

— sophomore Noble Pierce

Even as wrestlers set their own goals for the season, team culture can make a huge difference in performance.

¨My personal goal is to overall grow in the sport and as a person,¨ Pierce said. ¨Having a constant routine and teammates to support me, helps me stay focused.¨

Sophomore Dez Navarro is just one of the many new additions to the team this year. Although Navarro was not able to compete last year, this season gave him his second chance.

¨Last year I was bummed I wasn’t able to wrestle so I wanted to go compete this year,¨ he said. ¨My goal is to just keep competing and to hopefully place at this upcoming tournament over break.¨

The tournament Navarro is referring to is the Craig T. Grace Centex Tournament on Jan. 5 and 6. This is one of the team’s larger wrestling tournaments in the Austin area, which brings in a lot of talented competition from all around the state.

Although its Navarro’s first eligible wrestling season in high school, he has already been able to make his mark on the competition, placing first in the JV dual meet, held at McCallum, on Nov. 1st. 

The noticeable improvement of returning wrestlers like Pierce, and an empowered work ethic as seen in new members like Navarro, is what Salazar feels makes this year special.

Every match/tournament we compete in is a big deal because it gives us an opportunity to see what it is we need to continue to work on

— Coach Salazar

¨Every match/tournament we compete in is a big deal because it gives us an opportunity to see what it is we need to continue to work on,¨ Salazar said. ¨We prepare by continuing to practice with a purpose and competing all in an effort to improve and be the best that we can be. We can learn just as much, if not more, from a loss than a win.¨

Win or lose, the team is hoping to learn what they need to come out on top at the district meet in late January and early February. With just about 6 meets until then, the team should have plenty of time to tone their skills.