D-Day for the Knights is tonight

After showing resilience through adversity in three non-district games, McCallum opens DISTRICT play tonight with a House Park duel against Crockett
Alice Scott
Marc Sanchez, shown here advancing the ball past two Connally defenders in the Cougars’ win over the Knights last Friday, believes the Knights have the character and chemistry to overcome injuries and bring home a district title in 2023.

The varsity football team plays tonight in its first district game of the season against Crockett. The Knights are eager for district play to get underway, hoping to win a district title this season for the first time since 2017.

Last season the Knights finished in second in district behind LBJ, which went undefeated in district play. The Knights hope to switch places with the Jags this season. Among those excited for the rest of the season is senior Thurston Roberts. He has set expectations for himself and the team for the rest of the season.

“Improvement,” Roberts said. “We just need to get better and better each week. We have a big game this week that’s very crucial in moving forward and securing a playoff spot. We’re game planning; we’re gonna have to come pretty level headed”

For junior Mark Sanchez the main goal for this season is to clinch the district title and get better than last year’s squad.

“We’ve been facing a lot of injuries defensively, so I think that’s really hurt us, but I think our team chemistry has gone up, so I think our play will get better through the season,” Sanchez said. “As a team our goal is to win a district championship and also to win a playoff game.”

Despite having players stepping up into new roles and some key players out, the Knights believe they have a strong team and are highly motivated to do well this season.

TONIGHT vs. Crockett Cougars

The Cougars are 1-1 going into district play. Last season, after spotting the Cougars 21 points, the Knights pulled out the victory, 49-28. Their leading scorer is quarterback Cameron Dickey, a Texas Tech commit, who has scored three touchdowns and thrown five touchdown passes. Dickey was a handful for the Knights a year ago.

SEPT. 29 vs. LBJ Jaguars

The Jaguars are 0-3 going into district play. McCallum suffered its only district loss of the season when it lost 68-14 to LBJ. Despite not having won any of their non-district games, the Jags have elite playmakers in Brandon Waites and Caleb Crenshaw.

OCT. 6 vs. Northeast Raiders

The Raiders are also 0-3 going into district play. They fell to the Knights last year, 28-0. The Knights main threat from the Raiders comes in the form of Evan Vasquez, who leads the team in both rushing and receiving yards.

OCT. 13 vs. LASA Raptors

The Raptors are 3-0 heading into district play. The Knights beat the Raptors last season, 55-7. The Raptors have many key players with Tate Smith being their leading scorer and Abel Perez having the most tackles per game as well as an interception.

OCT. 19 vs. Navarro Vikings

The Vikings are 1-2 going into district play. The Vikings continued the 2022 string of schools losing to McCallum, falling 42-10. Navarro has many players who have contributed on offense with Daemion Cervantez being their leading receiver and also having the teams only interception.

OCT 26. vs. Travis Rebels

The Rebels are 1-1 going into district play. They too were a victim to the Knights’ dominance in district last season, falling 55-13. The Rebels had a shutout loss in their first game of the season but had a significant win for their home opener, beating John Paul II, 67-13.

NOV. 3 vs. Eastside Panthers

The Panthers are 0-3 going into district play. They were the final team to lose to McCallum, losing 56-0 in a game delayed by persistent lightning. The star of the Panthers is running back Adrian Trevino, who averages 60 rushing yards per game.