‘Antigone’ is two for two in UIL competition

After two first-place finishes at zone, district, MacTheatre to take its one-act play to bi-district on March 23

Gergő Major

A scene from the opening night performance of “Antigone” on Nov. 10 in the Fine Arts Building Theater.

Alice Scott, co-editor in chief

Following a first place win at the UIL One Act Play zone meet on Tuesday March 7, the Antigone cast took gold again at the district meet on Friday March 10. The cast is scheduled to compete next in the bi-district competition on March 23.

One thing I think is very cool about UIL is how it prepares us for applying a play to different stages like we would have to do if we were part of a touring play.

— senior Teagan Boyd (Antigone)

“We did the show and I felt it went really well, and seeing as we got the two top actor awards, and our ensemble, technicians, and more individual actors got awards, I’d say the judges agreed,” senior Teagan Boyd (Antigone) said. “We got to watch one of the other school’s plays, so that was very fun as well.”

In addition to their first-place winnings, the cast and crew earned several accolades in the individual awards categories at both the zone and district meet. At the zone meet, MacTheatre students competed against three other schools to earn seven honors including both best performer awards for Boyd (Antigone) and senior Finn Sewell McCann (Creon).

“It was my first individual award at One-Act Play and it was so exciting to receive best performer alongside Finn,” Boyd said. “While One Act isn’t just about awards for me, it was very nice to receive the recognition.”

The entire chorus (junior Darin Fowler, freshman Willa Fischer, freshman Ellie Grace Hodges, sophomore Kiran Ireland, freshman Beatrix Lozach, junior Danielle Todd-Harris, sophomore Joe Cololeo and sophomore Wylie Reat) earned the All Star Cast honor alongside freshman Lucy Sternberg (Ismene). Senior Rhett Shields earned an honorable mention for his role of Sentry and junior Coco Gravois won the Outstanding Technician for her work as the show’s stage manager. The student crew (juniors Lilli Gonzales, Coco Gravois, Jack Mccaskill, and senior Ruby Cloke) received the award for Outstanding Technical Crew.

“More than anything getting to work with the incredible cast and crew was so inspiring and an award in and of itself,” Boyd said.

While One Act isn’t just about awards for me, it was very nice to receive the recognition.

— Boyd

At the district meet — which expanded the competition pool to five other schools — the cast and crew continued to receive honors for their work, earning 4 individual awards. Senior Dylan Neal (Tieresias) earned the All Star Cast recognition and junior Danielle Todd-Harris (Choregos) earned an honorable mention. The technical crew also took home top achievements with junior Lilli Gonzales earning Outstanding Technician and junior Jack McCaskill earning All Star Crew.

“One thing I think is very cool about UIL is how it prepares us for applying a play to different stages like we would have to do if we were part of a touring play,” Boyd said. “Personally [district] was one of my favorite shows we’ve done because there was this feeling of the community of the whole cast and crew that brought the show together.”

The performance was a cut version of MacTheatre’s fall play that was also director Bonnie Brookby’s first McCallum production. Several members of the cast from the fall and a few newcomers have been rehearsing this spring to get the show in shape for competition. Boyd looks forward to bi-district and the future for the Antigone cast and crew.

“Overall everyone at the competitions are kind and respectful, whether they’re from Mac or another school,” Boyd said. “Getting to be a part of One Act is always so exciting because while I’m getting closer to my cast and crew members, I’m also getting to meet students from other schools and getting to be inspired by them as well.”