Schlett’s soccer outlet

Senior shares gratitude says his time on the pitch has helped him build relationships, improve work ethic
Senior Jay Schlett throws the ball back on the field for his team during their game against Eastside.
David Herring

Playing soccer isn’t just an extracurricular activity for senior Jay Schlett—it is a strategy that has helped him not only to stay on track but to keep developing as a person.

“Soccer 100% has been an outlet for me whether I am stressed out or just need to clear my head,” Schlett said. “I would play for 30 minutes, and it would make it 10 times easier to get my homework done, and it’s improved my charisma by allowing me to connect with other people; it’s formed so many friendships.”

Schlett started playing soccer when he was 3 years old and joined small soccer teams through the years, but he joined River City Rangers when he was in the sixth grade and continues to be a part of it along with playing for McCallum’s soccer team, where he’s been on the varsity team for the past two years.

Soccer 100% has been an outlet for me whether I am stressed out or just need to clear my head.

— senior Jay Schlett

“I have been playing with McCallum’s soccer [since sophomore year], but I did not play my freshman year because JV-A only played three games, and I don’t think I played in any of them,” Schlett said. “But ever since [sophomore] year, I have been with McCallum and attending every practice and game.”

One of the reasons why Schlett has committed to playing for his school and his club is because his teammates on both teams have built such good communities.

“Everyone who is there, wants to be there, and the soccer players are just so dedicated,” he said. “It’s such a love for the game that makes it exciting and fun to come back and see the same people every time.”

He also admits that though soccer may look like a simple sport, but there are components of the game that make it challenging such as finding the perfect positions against opponents.

“[We ask ourselves] how lining up your formation is going to affect the [opposing] team’s formation and find the exact points on the field where we can find open space, and where they [the opposing team] will leave people open and where our players should run,” Schlett said. 

While he is on the field, Schlett admits that pushing his teammates’ buttons keeps him entertained, but he knows how to focus on the game when the time requires it. 

He’s a really good player, and I trust him a lot to help the team and defend as well.

— teammate Speight Twohey

“[My teammates and I] talk about how we can defend better and what our positions should be,” Schlett said. “If the teams are on the same play every time, I cover one guy and Speight has the other guy.”

Speight Twohey, Schlett’s teammate on the school team, started playing with Schlett last year when he made the varsity team and is grateful for the soccer strategies Schlett has taught him over time.

“He’s a really good player, and I trust him a lot to help the team and defend as well. He taught me ‘see ball, get ball,’” Twohey said. “So it’s basically if you see the ball, you get it no matter what and no matter how many people you need to knock out.”

Twohey has enjoyed playing alongside Schlett and also admires him for the positive energy he gives off to his teammates.

“It’s actually fun, [and] everytime I see Jay he has a smile on his face,” Twohey said. “He’s just a really happy person in general, and he’s a very funny person as well.”  

Schlett is also this year’s treasurer for the Student Council, and though being a part of multiple extracurriculars can be a big responsibility and a lot to balance, he admits that to him it’s not a struggle at all.

“Having such a good crew on Student Council helps make my job easier by always helping each other out,” Schlett said. “And soccer is always a big time commitment, but it’s not difficult because I have a good team on both sides.”

Schlett plans to attend Colorado State University, and though he wants to continue studying, he does not want to stop playing soccer any time soon.

I will definitely be doing intramural and just play soccer for myself,” Schlett said. “They [CSU] have a club team, but I already am making a big-time dedication in my life by being in two teams, and I don’t think I will do that in college since I will be caught up in work, but I am 100% not ending my soccer career here.”