Reedy+said+that+prom+was+a+special+event+because+it+provided+a+moment+of+togetherness+for+seniors+before+graduation.+She+said+that+she+and+her+friends%2C+like+senior+Julia+Wallace+and+Bradsby+shown+here+at+a+Mac+boys+soccer+game+at+Nelson+Field%2C+have+had+many+moments+of+sadness+realizing+that+they+are+about+to+go+their+separate+ways.+

Dave Winter

Reedy said that prom was a special event because it provided a moment of togetherness for seniors before graduation. She said that she and her friends, like senior Julia Wallace and Bradsby shown here at a Mac boys soccer game at Nelson Field, have had many moments of sadness realizing that they are about to go their separate ways.

Reedy finds chances to be creative, build community in Vermont

June 9, 2023

Reedy plans to attend the University of Vermont for psychology in the fall, in hopes of becoming a pediatric counselor.

Reedy’s interest in psychology was spurred by an upbringing with Nancy Drew novels, who done it puzzles and a sixth-grade job aptitude test.

With graduation approaching, it was nice to just see everyone having a blast at prom. With some of my friends there has been a lot of silence lately with the realization that we’re all moving very far away from each other, so at least in my little group we were all just happy for the night.

— Lydia Reedy

“I took an aptitude test for a sixth-grade assignment, and it said that I would make a good therapist, and I’ve just kinda rolled with it since,” Reedy said. “I also went through a really big true crime phase. Human behavior is just really interesting to me.”

Through her pursuit of pediatric counseling, Reedy seeks a gratifying career that enables her to grant support to people in need.

“I think it’s fascinating that people can come from very different circumstances and end up very similar people or vice versa,” Reedy said. “As someone who didn’t have the most splendiferous childhood, I think it would be really really rewarding to help kids who are struggling with their mental health, and have the experiences I didn’t really get to have.”

During her time at McCallum, Reedy found herself drawn to many of the arts including the McCallum Youth Dance Company, ceramics classes and other creative pursuits like newspaper and Writing Center. Inspired by her love for creative opportunities, Reedy will be a part of the arts and creativity living community at her university next year.

“It’s a program where you dorm with them and then the communities have certain events like arts and crafts nights,” she said. “They also put on this music festival in the spring and offer seminars you can take.”

Next year, Reedy hopes to continue her exploration of creative interests by joining her university’s student radio.

“I just really like listening to music,” she said. “I kinda don’t care if anyone is listening to the music I play. I just think it would be a really fun thing to do. When I toured the campus the student radio is in like in the basement of the student union, and I loved it, it was great.”

Reading Nancy Drew novels early in life kindled Reedy’s interest in psychology as did the results of a sixth-grade job aptitude test. Photo courtesy of Reedy.

Upon reflection, Reedy feels that her favorite memory from high school was prom. She felt it was a bittersweet moment as it was one of the last fun gatherings before the senior class goes their separate ways.

“It was fun seeing everyone get dressed up and dancing around, it was sweet,” Reedy said. “I think with graduation approaching, it was nice to just see everyone having a blast. I know with some of my friends there has been a lot of silence lately with the realization that we’re all moving very far away from each other, so at least in my little group we were all just happy for the night.”

There’s no point in being insecure, it only holds you back. I think really owning who you are and leaning into that is definitely beneficial.

— Reedy

Reedy will most miss the free stuff outside the library at McCallum. Her stops at the library cart have become an integral weekly ritual for her and Bradsby.

“That’s my favorite part about this school,” Reedy said. “I’ve found so much good fabric there, and it’s saved me many trips to any craft store. It’s nice. There’s a lot of resources there, and it’s just a cool place.”

Reedy’s biggest takeaway from her time in high school is to not let your insecurities define you. She feels that allowing yourself to be you draws the right people to you.

“I’ve learned that there’s no point in being insecure, it only holds you back,” Reedy said. “ I think really owning who you are and leaning into that is definitely beneficial, and it’s a weird feeling because I think it can make you feel even more out of place at first, but just going with it is good.”

Reedy is excited for the move across the country, but also nervous about the change in climate.

“I’m really worried about how much money I’m going to have to spend this summer because I have to buy a whole new cold-weather wardrobe,” Reedy said. “I’ve also never gone skiing and that’s like all they do during the winter.”