Leah+Gordon

Leah Gordon

Gergő Major

Senior Leah Gordon has learned many things during her four years at McCallum, most importantly is listening. 

Through her membership in clubs like Student Council, Newspaper, Key Club, Environmental Knights, Feminist Club, NHS, Varsity Soccer, Model UN, Math Center and PALS, Gordon has had the opportunity to learn from those around her. 

“Those different leadership roles allowed me to collaborate positively with my peers and taught me that you must be a good listener in order to be a good leader,” Gordon said. 

With all this heavy involvement, Gordon has also learned the value of time management.

“They also taught me how to effectively manage my time in and out of school,” Gordon said. 

Out of the nearly 10 clubs Gordon has been a member of, PALS, or the peer-assisted leadership and service program, has had the biggest impact on her. Her interest in the program stemmed far before joining during her junior year. 

“Since I was in freshman year I knew I wanted to be in PALS,” Gordon said.  “I always looked up to them and knew that I wanted to do that one day.”

Knowing she wanted to be a member of the prestigious program, Gordon approached her teachers early on to nominate her in for the application process. 

“I remember telling all my teachers I was interested in the program my sophomore year in hopes they would nominate me,” Gordon said. “After getting in I was ecstatic. I couldn’t wait to be part of such a kinda welcoming group of people.” 

After two years in the program, PALS has lived up to everything Gordon imagined. 

“Through this program, I have been able to meet extraordinary people and re-learn how easy it is to share and forgive others,” Gordon said. 

Among all the teachers and students she’s met at McCallum, PALS sponsor and AP Statistics teacher Richard Cowels stands out in Gordon’s mind. 

“Mr. Cowles has made me become a better person. He allowed me to look at how I viewed my relationships in my life and be grateful for everything around me,” Gordon said. “He taught me to value each and every moment.

Cowles shares Gordon’s sentiments. 

“As a leader she is fearless,” Cowles said. “She brings a lot of enthusiasm.” 

According to Cowles, Gordon is never hesitant to stand up for the truth. 

“Recently she spoke out against an incident and that created a lot of positive change,” Cowles said. “She is willing to speak her mind and when she sees something she doesn’t perceive as correct she can enact big change.”

While Gordon’s time at McCallum has come to an end, her involvement with different groups at the school will serve her well as she heads to the Univeristy of Texas at Austin next year to major in Social Work on a Pre-Law track. 

“Being involved at Mac was important to me because it allowed me to engage with various groups across the school,” Gordon said. “It gave me knowledge on how to effectively make a difference.”

Student Council (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th), Treasurer (10th), Class President (11th), Student Body President (12th)

Key Club (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th), Junior President (11th), Co-president (12th)

Varsity soccer (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th), Honorable mention 2nd team all district, 1st team all district, academic all district

Newspaper (11th, 12th)

PALS (11th, 12th)

The Shield Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in