Bella Russo

GELLA, YES! Freshman middle hitter Gella Andrew spikes the ball into the Cougar block for one of her six kills during the second set of the Knights’ 3-1 bi-district playoff loss on Friday night. The Knights lost the set, 25-23, in heart-breaking fashion to fall behind, 2-0. The Knights rebounded to win the third set, 25-17, before losing the fourth set, 25-20, and the match, 3-1. Andrew was solid in the middle in the final game of her breakout freshman season. Her kill percentage was a team best 37.5 percent, and she had one of the Knights’ four solo blocks for the match.

Gella, yes! (November 2020) by Bella Russo

As her World Photo Day selection, Shield photo editor Kennedy Weatherby opted for this image of freshman middle hitter Gella Andrew spiking the ball for a kill during the second set of the Knights’ 3-1 bi-disrict playoff loss to Pflugerville Connally in 2020.

“This photo, taken by Bella Russo, is one of my favorite sports photos actions shots that MacJ has ever taken. The position taken by Russo on the court made for a unique angle for the shot, one that had not been attempted yet that season. The framing is flawless, with Gella perfectly placed between the two Cougar opponents. The picture is not only a good action shot, but it’s also a great reflection of what that year was like for the McCallum volleyball team. Gella and all her teammates are clearly playing the match in masks, which shows how difficult and strange this year was for them. It’s all around an amazing shot, and Bella is an incredible photojournalist to look up to and emulate.”

The Shield Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in