‘Dancers aren’t the greatest bowlers.’

July 31, 2020

Ashley Chamberlain

McCallum dance students strike a pose at the 2015 Bowl-A-Thon fundraiser for the program.

Ms. Nat’s first family memory in Austin was an evening at Dart Bowl. 

New to the McCallum dance program in 2016, she didn’t know what to expect when she heard about the annual Bowl-A-Thon fundraiser for Mac’s student-directed concert. 

It soon became something she would look forward to each year. 

“My first Bowl-A-Thon was one of the very first things that we did as a family together in Austin,” she said. “It was such a fun atmosphere.”

With dance students receiving pledges-per-pin knocked down, the night became a tradition for everyone involved in the program. 

My first Bowl-A-Thon was one of the very first things that we did as a family together in Austin.

— McCallum Youth Dance Company co-director Natalie Uehara

“As dancers, we don’t get to spend a lot of time just having fun together, because we’re usually working on shows, so it was a great experience,” Ms. Nat said. “A lot of the parents would also come and so it was a chance for them to bond as well.”

“Dancers would get pledges, or they could just get flat donations, because, let’s face it, dancers aren’t the greatest bowlers,” she added with a laugh.

When she saw the announcement of their closure, she thought back to her time spent there, grateful for the memories with both her family and the dance community. 

“It was such a nostalgic place for everyone,” she said. “It was part of the McCallum culture.”