Caleb Melville

The varsity defies the wet weather by firing up before taking the pitch at Cedar Creek High School. Photo by Caleb Melville.

Soaring past the Eagles

After a rough four-game stretch without a win, varsity girls put five on the board and shut out Cedar Creek

Senior Karen Esparza embraces sophomore Mia Gomez after her assist and Gomez’s goal made it 4-0 at the half on Friday night at Cedar Creek. Photo by Caleb Melville.

The McCallum Lady Knights breezed to a sweeping 5-0 win over the Cedar Creek Eagles Friday.

Junior Avery Miller opened up scoring for the Knights, followed by sophomore Kyla Murphy off of an assist from sophomore Mia Gomez, and an Eagles’ own goal off of a corner kick and then Gomez added a goal of her own with an assist from senior Karen Esparza to extend the lead to 4-0 at the half.

The second half was slower offensively but junior Hannah Zuniga added a fifth goal from a penalty kick after Murphy was fouled in the box.

The Knights defense and junior goalkeeper Lindsey Plotkin held strong to keep the shutout.

“We felt good going into it,” Gomez said. “We played them in a scrimmage last season and beat them 2-0, but we still had to get the confidence going in.”

The Knights’ next game will be their first home game of the season Tuesday against Elgin at Nelson Field.

JV STILL UNBEATEN

Caleb Melville
Freshman center midfielder Chloe Anderson greets sophomore stopper and center midfielder Grace Nugent after Anderson scored to give the Knights a 3-0 lead in the second half of their non-district game against the Cedar Creek Eagles in Bastrop Friday night. Photo by Caleb Melville.

Freshman center midfielder Chloe Anderson scored twice in the game, and freshman forward Sydney Wallace scored once as the Knights cruised to their second win of the season with a 3-0 non-district win over Cedar Creek Eagles in Bastrop Friday night.

The JV Knights have now six games under their belts, and they are still undefeated with two wins and four draws. Sophomore goalkeeper Emma Mattie has earned a clean sheet in four of those six games.

The JV played Friday without sophomore forward Anna Bausman, who was out due to illness. She and her teammates will be back on the pitch when they take on Elgin 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Nelson Field in the last non-district game before the district season starts on Friday.

The varsity plays Elgin on Tuesday at 7:15 following the JV game.

The Knights start district play with a matchup against arch-rival LBJ, Friday at Noack 1. The start times on Friday at 6 p.m. for JV and 7:45 p.m. for varsity

Photos and reporting by Caleb Melville.

The Shield Online • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in