Categories:

’48 Hours’ leads to a four-year plan

Hooked on forensics since he was in middle school, Banks to study subject at St. Edward’s
Senior Sebastian Banks performs a solo and his final chamber guitar concert on May 16 in the MAC. "l’d like to join some kind of music group [at St. Ed’s] because I think that’d be really fun," Banks said of his plans to play guitar while in college. "They don’t have classical guitar specifically, which is what I play, but I’ll just have to see."
Senior Sebastian Banks performs a solo and his final chamber guitar concert on May 16 in the MAC. “l’d like to join some kind of music group [at St. Ed’s] because I think that’d be really fun,” Banks said of his plans to play guitar while in college. “They don’t have classical guitar specifically, which is what I play, but I’ll just have to see.”
Maryam Yaqubi

Senior Sebastian Banks’ interest in forensic science blossomed in middle school when he latched onto his father’s love for watching CSI videos. At home, the two would watch 48 Hours and the like together; at school, Banks took a criminal law course that first showed him the exciting potential of the subject. His interest in forensic science has only grown since then.

Banks intends to study it for the next four years at St. Edward’s University in Austin.

Banks was primarily attracted to St. Ed’s because of its forensics program, which he felt could provide him with career opportunities down the road. He’s not exactly sure what he intends to become, but he’s drawn to forensic science because it is limitless.

“I like it because there are a lot of different avenues,” Banks said. “One of them is toxicology and doing blood work, and I thought that was really cool. I’m not completely sure what I want to do post-college, but I just know l’d like to do something in that field.”

In his time at Mac, Banks has built his interest in his chosen field by taking science teacher Sydney Schriever’s forensics class. But the activity he’s proudest of being part of, and will miss most when he graduates, is the guitar program. As a freshman, Banks was an advanced student and has been in Chamber since 10th grade.

“I played guitar all through middle school, but in high school, I feel like I really found my passion for it,” he said. “So I got more serious about playing and practicing. [I got] a little bit more competitive, trying to get into competitions and do as best as I can.”

While it has been difficult to balance guitar and a busy schedule, Banks will miss the daily influence of his chosen instrument.

Sebastian Banks. Graphic by Nate Williams.

“I’m gonna miss playing so much because I didn’t realize until this year how much music plays a role in my life and how much I play throughout the week, aside from practicing in school,” Banks said. “I think last year and this year, I have three classes devoted just to music, so it’s a lot.”

Without specific time in his day blocked off for music, Banks will have to work hard to keep it in his life.

“I want to keep playing, but I’m not sure how,” Banks said. “I’m going to keep practicing on my own. But l’d like to join some kind of music group [at St. Ed’s] because I think that’d be really fun. They don’t have classical guitar specifically, which is what I play, but I’ll just have to see. And there’s a big classical guitar scene in Austin.”

While Banks has enjoyed high school, he is looking forward to the freedom of college life.

But he won’t forget his four years as a Knight.

“I hope to come back and visit for guitar concerts and see how the program develops,” Banks said.