Thousands attend Texas Rally for Life

[wzslider]

Thousands of pro-life supporters gathered at the Capitol last Saturday to participate in the Texas Rally for Life.  The rally was timed to coincide with the 44th anniversary of the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal in the United States.

Organizers from the Texas Alliance for Life told several media outlets that they expected a typical crowd of a couple thousand marchers for the rally but that attendance figures far exceeded that number. According to The Daily Texas, the Austin Police Department estimated that there were 5,000 marchers at 3 p.m., the time that the march to the Capitol was scheduled to end.  The APD closed several streets around the Capitol as the marchers proceeded to the Capitol.

Marchers met in front of the Bullock Texas State History Museum at North Congress Avenue and 18th Street in the morning and then proceeded from there to the south steps of the Capitol where the rally took place.

Speakers included State Rep. Byron Cook (R-Corsicana) who praised the work of Texas legislators in passing anti-abortion legislation, specifically House Bill 2, which required facilities performing abortion to meet more rigorous standards.  Last summer, the Supreme Court overturned portions of the bill that would have caused clinics throughout Texas to close.

MacJournalism’s Tony Lavorgna covered the march and interviewed two participants about why they were and what they hoped the march would accomplish.

Brian McAuliffe
Brian McAuliffe

Tony Lavorgna: Why are you here today?

Brian McAuliffe: I’m here because I believe in the sanctity of human life.

TL: What do you hope to accomplish today?

BA: I hope to make more people aware that as soon as a baby is conceived that it’s a human being and so it’s worthy of the dignity of any other human being.

TL: Is there any action you guys are trying to take in particular today?

BA: Well, we want the provisions of House Bill 2 reinstated and … we want a bill banning dismemberment abortion because the whole thought of ripping a baby limb from limb should have everybody disgusted and that should not happen in our society.

Tony Lavorgna pro-life 201701303890
Sister Ave Maria

TL: What is your name?

SAM: I’m Sister Ave Maria, and I’m a Dominican sister of Mary Mother of the Eucharist.

TL: What are you trying to accomplish here today?

SAM: This is a gathering of people from all walks of life. We are just here to pay and witness to the sanctity of human life.

TL: Is that any particular legislation that you want to pass?

SAM: It would be wonderful to have human life protected from conception to natural death. That’s always our prayer. That would be wonderful if that happened, but really our main purpose [today] is simply to pray and to [bear] witness to the dignity of every human life.