Knights clip Eagles to go 4-0

Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
WOOLEY MAMMOTH: Cornerback Brandon Wooley sealed McCallum's win over Akins with this fourth-quarter interception. At the time, Akins trailed by only seven points and was driving for the tying touchdown. McCallum is 4-0 for the first time since 1966. Photo by Tony Lavorgna.
WOOLEY MAMMOTH: Cornerback Brandon Wooley sealed McCallum’s win over Akins with this fourth-quarter interception. At the time, Akins trailed by only seven points and was driving for the tying touchdown. McCallum is 4-0 for the first time since 1966. Photo by Tony Lavorgna.

After building a 14-0 halftime lead, McCallum led by only a touchdown with less than 10 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, and those pesky Akins Eagles were driving for what would be the tying touchdown when quarterback Nick Cagle lofted a pass into the outstretched hands of receiver Sergio Madrigal.

It looked for a moment that the Eagles had landed in the end zone to tie the score.

Senior quarterback Brandon Wooley had other ideas.

Before Madrigal could bring the ball under control, Wooley ripped it from his grasp. The dislodged ball hung in the air behind Wooley’s back as he faced the back of the end zone. Somehow, he reached for the ball behind his back and cradled it for a tide-changing, game-deciding, 4-and-0-season-preserving interception.

The catch would have been on SportCenter had ESPN been there to record it.  In their absence, Tony Lavorgna’s still MacJournalism photos of the play will have to do.

After the game, Wooley expressed self-deprecating humor, telling reporters that it was the first time in his football career that he caught the football during the game. Even in practice, he joked, he can’t catch the ball.

But Wooley caught the ball when his team needed him to catch it, and because he did, the Knights are 4-0 for the first time since 1966.

The team rides a hot defense and a scorching running back in Andre Blakemore (who added 195 yards an a touchdown to his amazing four-game tally of 646 yards and eight touchdowns) into Friday’s Homecoming game. The Knights open district play with a bang as they face a showdown with perennial arch-rival LBJ.

GAME NOTES: Shout out to senior Luke Whitefield who achieved a rare trifecta in the game, kicking a field goal and an on-side kick that he also recovered, leading to the Knights’ second touchdown (scored by Alex Julian).

Reporting by Joseph Cardenas. Photos by Diego Gutierrez, Persophone Harris, Greg James, Tony Lavorgna, Mia Orrick, Adrian Peña and Ramona Sever. Video by Mia Orrick.